Hot rolled vs cold rolled

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

stephenc

Hot rolled vs cold rolled

Post by stephenc »

I have a couple small parts to make that I want to case harden with casenit .
Is there any reason to pick hot or cold rolled 1018 over the other or will they both be about equal when done .

I do understand that the cold rolled is more likely to have internal stress and be more likely to warp but the part taking the case hardening is more important then dimensional stability.

Thanks
Rich_Carlstedt

Re: Hot rolled vs cold rolled

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

No difference really other than the warp potential.
Hot roll is generally 1020 and that means a slightly higher carbon content but as you know , machining is not as good

Rich
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

thank you . i do prefer to use cold rolled because it is a little easier to work with .
plus in this case it means i can use some stock i have on hand and not have to make a trip to town to scrounge some material up .
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

One disadvantage of using hot rolled material is size. If you're gripping with a chuck, no problem, but hot rolled is generally oversized, and not round, so it doesn't lend itself well to working with collets. I've used the Jacobs collet chucks for the material, which seems to be satisfactory, however. Wish I had one for my Graziano.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I've been machining some hot rolled 1" rod today; what a pain compared to the nice cold drawn rod I was using before.
I can only get hot rolled here in southern Portugal.

It's so lumpy and irregular, time is wasted.
Cheap though.