Shearing 1095 Spring Steel?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

EOsteam

Shearing 1095 Spring Steel?

Post by EOsteam »

OK, I have this roll of .062" thick X 1" wide X 35' long roll of 1095 spring steel. I have to cut various lengths off of the roll for my locomotive springs. Since I don't have a shear or even an abrasive chop saw what are the options for making the cuts?

HJ
Rich_Carlstedt

Re: Shearing 1095 Spring Steel?

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

1. Make a horizontal die and use your vice to shear off the desired length
2. Put the strip in a vice and hammer it over to 90 degrees where it will crack/break- make the pieces slightly longer. Then grind it to size on a pedestal grinder

Rich
Ken Schroeder

Post by Ken Schroeder »

Go to HF and pick up a cheap abrasive cut off saw with about a 5" dia. wheel. With a 20% off coupon it will be cheaper than going out to dinner. That is what I use for cutting my leaf spring material.
spro

Post by spro »

Yes, but this is only 1/16" thick. A big Dremel a Dumore or other die grinder with rpm over 12000 and a small narrow wheel would zip this. No?
CaptonZap

Post by CaptonZap »

Ken Schroeder wrote:Go to HF and pick up a cheap abrasive cut off saw with about a 5" dia. wheel. With a 20% off coupon it will be cheaper than going out to dinner. That is what I use for cutting my leaf spring material.

And if you are lucky, a 4.5 inch angle grinder will be on sale for $9.99. Then you will have the option of grinding wheels, cut off wheels, sanding discs, masonary saws, wire wheels, etc. Best ten dollars you can spend for the motive force.

CZ
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Despite the bad press such HF item receive on U-tube and other sources my 4.5" angle grinder has filled the role of a band saw for cutting stock blanks for the last 12 years. Is the most bang for the buck I ever got in a power tool.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
EOsteam

Post by EOsteam »

We don't have a Harbor Freight here in town so on a whim I ventured into our local D & B which is a farm and ranch supply store. They were having a Dewalt sale and the 14" metal chop saw followed me home. The regular price is $200 but on sale for $124.95. It cuts through a bundle of 8 leafs of the .062" X 1" 1095 spring steel in a jiffy. This little tool is going to get a workout. Thanks for all your ideas.

HJ