How stubborn are you?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ccfl

How stubborn are you?

Post by ccfl »

I mean, how much would it cost to have this done at the hardware store? A few bucks each? No Sir, no way am I going to pay someone to do that for me.

On purpose I did not do any research on how to do this properly, I decided to figure it out by experimentation. I have lots of blanks. I did learn that the index point is from the tip of the keys - at first I thought the reference was the notch up near the handle. It is not, that notch isn't consistent from key to key. I had to remachine the center block slightly and after that, all the newly cut keys work perfect.
stubborn_01.jpg
stubborn_02.jpg
stubborn_03.jpg
1/8" 3 flute endmill. The shank above the flutes rides against the Master key to trace the pattern.
stubborn_04.jpg
stubborn_05.jpg
[continued...]
"Never trust a man who puts a witty quote in his sig line." -Mark Twain
ccfl

Re: How stubborn are you?

Post by ccfl »

stubborn_06.jpg
One side done, flip over in the fixture and cut the other side.
stubborn_07.jpg
stubborn_08.jpg
stubborn_09.jpg
This is a new-to-me 2006, thankfully it doesn't use the high dollar PK3+ transponder keys. I got a bulk lot of blanks off Ebay for something like $0.20 each, only wasted 4 of 'em figuring out how not to do it.
"Never trust a man who puts a witty quote in his sig line." -Mark Twain
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

:shock: :idea: :idea: Great Project :!:
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Pretty stubborn but not that stubborn.

A towtruck driver told me half his work is those key code transponder devices locking up, and cars needing to go to the dealers for resetting.
As my car was already 10 yeas old and I only had one chip key for it, I got in there and removed the engine lock solenoid, so it starts and runs without a chip.
Now it's 17 years old. No salt on the roads this far south, so the tin work won't be what kills it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Nice job on the keys.

I've made a few keys in the past couple years. Two of them were for old furniture, where I had locks, but no keys. Dismantling the locks made it pretty easy to figure out what the keys needed to look like, and they turned out quite nicely. Even did black oxide on them.

I own a little Kubota tractor. I was informed by the dealership that all keys for any given series are alike. They're also very proud of them, demanding no less than $6.00 for a simple key. Having experienced more than one breakage (the preheat is through the key, and it's heavily spring loaded, so the key flexes considerably), I wasn't keen on spending that kind of money for a key that had a questionable lifespan, so I made one from some sheet stainless. Took quite a bit of time, as it required considerable setup, but it turned out well, and has large wings, so holding the key while the glow plugs heat is a lot easier now.

Yeah, like you, I'm pretty damned stubborn. Not about to pay an unreasonable fee for something that is mass produced. :-)

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Stubborn enough to do a very similar thing, but using CAD/CAM/CNC ;-)
RSG

Post by RSG »

LOL, not that stubborn......you must have lots of time on your hands. I don't :) nice job though!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
shorttrackhack

Post by shorttrackhack »

Last year, I made keys for an F-350 after the originals were lost. I realize that I'm way too stubborn to ever learn not to spend a whole day repairing something that could be replaced for $50.00.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Harold_V wrote:Nice job on the keys.

I've made a few keys in the past couple years. Two of them were for old furniture, where I had locks, but no keys. Dismantling the locks made it pretty easy to figure out what the keys needed to look like, and they turned out quite nicely. Even did black oxide on them.

I own a little Kubota tractor. I was informed by the dealership that all keys for any given series are alike. They're also very proud of them, demanding no less than $6.00 for a simple key. Having experienced more than one breakage (the preheat is through the key, and it's heavily spring loaded, so the key flexes considerably), I wasn't keen on spending that kind of money for a key that had a questionable lifespan, so I made one from some sheet stainless. Took quite a bit of time, as it required considerable setup, but it turned out well, and has large wings, so holding the key while the glow plugs heat is a lot easier now.

Yeah, like you, I'm pretty damned stubborn. Not about to pay an unreasonable fee for something that is mass produced. :-)

Harold
I've found that toggle switches make excellent replacements for tractor ignition switches.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I'm kinda partial to Cole Hersee rotary switches.....if you can't tell by the pic.
A complete rewire on a JCB thing....Before I cleaned up the new panel and installed some real labels.
:)
584 Panel4.jpg
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Learning a new skill is never a waste of time.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I think that, on average, the readership of this board is in the upper quarter percentile as stubbornness measure goes. Guilty myself.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX