How stubborn are you?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

tornitore45

Re: How stubborn are you?

Post by tornitore45 »

The secret of hoarding is rational storing, what is the point of having something if you forgot you have it or where you put it.
My method is: "Like stuff with Like stuff" and religious labeling. Sometimes categorizing has ambiguity.

Stock is spreadsheeted when acquired, I do not bother to update for usage until I used up the last length.
If I know I have it, either have enough or need to buy more anyway, the important is not to buy stock when there is a piece buried somewhere.

My clean up rule: If you had no use in the last 10 year, close your eyes, inhale deeply and toss it.
And yet there were time I regretted, shortly after.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It's only hoarding if you don't have room for it. If you have room it's "collecting."
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

bosnian bill on youtube will change your perception of locks. I have a cnc and can program the new key... Here is a stack of keys
Attachments
keys-20161228_143036.jpg
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
ccfl

Post by ccfl »

I 'collected' a ton of useless junk during my 20+ years working in various dealerships and independent shops. Brackets, bits of wiring harnesses/plugs/pigtails, fuse/relay panels, switches...

When I bought the 'new' truck last week it came with only one key & one fob/transmitter. I went digging in my junk box of various security/alarm crap and found the batch of leftover remotes. There was a GM factory transmitter in there. I looked up replacements for my 2006 and there were 3 part numbers listed: one universal, and two with the '1' or '2' on the back, for the driver personalization feature (circuit boards inside are identical for all 3). P/N on my found part was one of the three. Stuck in a new battery, went down to the truck, did the door lock/ignition sequence thing, and learned both transmitters. Saved $60. :lol:
"Never trust a man who puts a witty quote in his sig line." -Mark Twain
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

ccfl wrote:I 'collected' a ton of useless junk......
Wuzzzzzat?? "Useless Junk" ?

Huh.....

:)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
spro

Post by spro »

The heavy older stuff was easier to collect years ago but over a decade things became junk to others eyes. Then later they were hauled away and you can't find them anymore. Then later there was "steaming punk" or Man cave and decorations of the very things ripped away. It all changes as people change. Live long enough to see how the cycle repeats and the one in the middle, may be you.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

My parents were depression era folks. My Dad fixed all sorts of things like that, in his little shop, known by us kids & Mom, as the 'Acme Tool & Repair Company'. (Named after Wile E. Coyote.....Genius!)
Looks like normal repair stuff to me.... :)
It's hereditary it turns out.....
Mine too, Bill. I think my dad could fix almost anything, and did. He taught me a lot, but I'm not as skilled as he was.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"