How stubborn are you?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: How stubborn are you?

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Yes indeed.
Who else spends thousands and thousands of dollars for machine tools, to make a new handle for their wife's crock pot lid?
That would be us!

:)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

warmstrong1955 wrote:I'm kinda partial to Cole Hersee rotary switches.....if you can't tell by the pic.
A complete rewire on a JCB thing....Before I cleaned up the new panel and installed some real labels.

584 Panel4.jpg

Bill
Looks good. I should do that to my IH544. Unfortunately, I can't get the steering wheel off! (and the seal on the power steering mechanism leaks)

I could cut it, but then I'd have to buy a new wheel and I'm too cheap to do that. Hmm. Maybe I could *make* one for only two or three times the cost of buying one...
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It's sad how true this is.

Another side to the coin: friends and relatives asking us to use our high-dollar tools to fix their worthless crap.

Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

John Hasler wrote: Looks good. I should do that to my IH544. Unfortunately, I can't get the steering wheel off! (and the seal on the power steering mechanism leaks)
I could cut it, but then I'd have to buy a new wheel and I'm too cheap to do that. Hmm. Maybe I could *make* one for only two or three times the cost of buying one...
Thanks John!
And I hear ya....

Did you notice in that pic, how pretty the steering wheel is? Original was stuck....rusted & fused to the shaft... (Standard routine with underground mining equipment) It was stuck enough, to where the 2 holes in it for the puller bolts stripped out when I was trying to pull it. I drilled & tapped them out to the next larger size, and they stripped out as well. Ended up slicing it on one side of the hub with a cutoff saw. :evil:

I thought about making a new wheel....but with a weird metric spline, I hate to imagine what that broach would have cost...
Oh well.....
I had to design it with a bunch of stuff (electrically) that normal mortals don't need. Since we may have used the machine in Canada, it had to meet Ontario Brake Specs.
It was a vast improvement over what it was when I started though.
584 panel1.jpg
The stuff I removed......
584 Leftovers.jpg
Bill
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:It's sad how true this is.
Another side to the coin: friends and relatives asking us to use our high-dollar tools to fix their worthless crap.
I had to go to Youtube & watch part 2. :)
Thanks for that....Worth a dollar!

There was a saying...... "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!"
My parents were depression era folks. My Dad fixed all sorts of things like that, in his little shop, known by us kids & Mom, as the 'Acme Tool & Repair Company'. (Named after Wile E. Coyote.....Genius!)
Looks like normal repair stuff to me.... :)
It's hereditary it turns out.....

Bill
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

"Leftovers"? I hope you didn't throw it away: that looks like good stuff!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

warmstrong1955 wrote:I had to go to Youtube & watch part 2. :)
Thanks for that....Worth a dollar!
I can't count the times I've started to order materials or tools to fix something and then realized the thing I was fixing was basically worthless. It doesn't always stop me.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Crock pot handles? Thought I was the only one who made them.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

John Hasler wrote:"Leftovers"? I hope you didn't throw it away: that looks like good stuff!
I'm part hoarder..... :oops: So....not a chance.
Unless it was absolutely worthless, like the crispy-hard hydraulic hoses & melted wires. I either still have it, or it's been 're-purposed', or, a lot of the stuff went back to the mine, for spares for the other machines like it. We had three at the time.

warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

mcostello wrote:Crock pot handles? Thought I was the only one who made them.
Bet there's quite a list of crock pot handle makers here!

BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Bill, very nice work on that control panel! I'm reworking a Kubota tractor dash that had a minor fire in the cluster. Other than ruined wiring and ribbon circuit (along with a few relays) the only damage is some discoloration. The key switch is fine, but I had looked into doing something like you did to replace some of the switches and realys (lights mainly). I know the economics are a bit different working on the mine equipment where reliability is money, but if I'm not mistaken that's at least $200 worth of switches alone, unless you've got a better source (probably) that I do. So I punted and built a new copper wire harness (mostly idiot lights) with automotive push-twist turn marker light (small blade) sockets/bulbs, and the current plan is to go with inexpensive low amp switches with a small bank of relays to control everything else (including improved task lighting). Going to try to finish that up once the heat comes in full force and I retreat to the AC. For now trying to get the outside work done before then.

Sorry for the side trip.

As others have said, I too am both an glutton for impractical work and a hoarder. But it's not so much stubbornness as impatience combined with having grown up dirt poor (literally on a dirt road in a single wide trailer) so that NOTHING that can be salvaged goes in the trash. So throwing something out to replace it, or waiting till I can make a trip or get a shipment on something I just broke trying to use it, that's just not happening if I can help it...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

Harold_V wrote: Yeah, like you, I'm pretty damned stubborn. Not about to pay an unreasonable fee for something that is mass produced. :-)

Harold
I have owned several Kubota tractors (none anymore though), all worked good, lasted a long time. Your dealer apparently is very tight fisted, mine gave me lots of keys. I had one or two given to me that were fancy, with a polished logo on the handle part, some sort of promotional thing. The rest were flat, plain ones.

I would have balked at six bucks each for those keys.

- Wes