New tap guide

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

New tap guide

Post by whateg0 »

It's been awhile since I visited, so to mark my return, I'm offering some pictures of a tap guide that I finished machining tonight. I still need to have a friend harden the plunger and thumbscrew, but it all seems functional. Started working from a drawing that I did, but quickly strayed from it to make the plunger reversible. I decided to use gun blue for this and see how it works. I like the look. IMHO, it has an aged tool look.

Here are all the pieces. The thumbscrew is a #8-32 that I turned the end down to 1/8" on so it could ride in the 0.135" wide groove. The diameter of the plunger, as I'm calling it, is 3/8". The OD of the fixed section that will go in the tailstock drill chuck is 1/2" with a 3/4" raised section on the front. I don't remember the pieces' lengths, but the OAL is right at 5". The piece to the left of the spring sits down in the spring and is bored to accept the turned down sections of the plunger. The plunger has 1" of travel, which should be plenty to get a tap started far enough to not need the guide.

(edit: The bigger section of the barrel is actually 0.800" in case it matters to anyone. It had to be thick enough to leave some threads after I milled a 3/8" wide flat for the screw to rest against.)

Something I learned today was that the pointed back end of taps are about as non-standard as trees! I have taps that have included angles of 72 degrees all the way up to 127 degrees! Some are actually pointed. Others have a flat almost 1/4" wide. Makes it pretty difficult to make a tool that does it all. I'll have to make another plunger that will work with some of the taps with wider flat areas. This guide should handle pointed up to a flat of about 0.090" wide. Even at that, care will have to be taken to not pull the tap out of the opening. That opening, BTW, was made by a #2 center drill.
tap-follower_disassembled.jpg
pointed-end.jpg
cup-end.jpg
Last edited by whateg0 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ehughes

Re: New tap guide

Post by ehughes »

Thanks, been meaning to make one of these for a while; maybe your post will be the push to "getter done" (as keith fenner of youtube fame says) regards, earl
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Took the plunger and screw to a friend's house and used his heat treat ovens to harden the plunger. It's somewhere between 60RC and 65RC. I have used it one time and it was a dream to use. I don't know why I didn't make one sooner. Now I need to make some die holders that can be guided the same way!
davidhayes

Post by davidhayes »

saw this post referencing a spring loaded die holder. this is what I came up with I made a 2nd one after finding not all 1" dies are 1" some are up to 030 smaller maybe metric od
Attachments
die holder.jpg