neckerchief slide

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

neckerchief slide

Post by SteveM »

My son wants to make a neckerchief slide on the lathe and mill.

Tried googling and didn't find any designs.

Anyone have any good ideas?

A simple one might be a large hole in a piece of hex so it looks like a nut, or maybe one that has a hex on top and outside threads so it looks like a bolt.

Steve
Russ Hanscom

Re: neckerchief slide

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Try BSA neckerchief slide; there should be bunch out there. I have 50+ patterns but most are intended for carving unless you want to do a 3D program for a CNC, which is probably not your intent.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Russ has it right, most of them were to be carved with a few tools and parts. However, this one was my favorite and could be made on a mill. Adding a couple of blade tensioner handles might add lathe parts, too. It is essentially a frame saw.
Neckerchief Slide
Neckerchief Slide
Thanks for reminding me of this great time in my youth.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Thanks for another pattern I did not have!

For a lathe project, take a slug of aluminum, cut some ring grooves and drill a wrist pin hole and you have a piston. Use wood and turn a few contours and make a keg or barrel.

I found that most patterns came from common objects - look around the shop and garage and see what catches your eye.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I thought of making a big bolt.

Metal might be too heavy, but I could make it out of plastic and sleeve it with a metal tube epoxied in to give it extra strength.

I could even make a matching nut.

A keg might be good for one of the dads, but I might get a few off looks if I put on a scout that says "Budweiser".

Steve
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

what about making it out of wood anyway? A good hard wood. I thought of a very coarse thread on the OD might look OK with a heavy chamfer.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...