Situating Fixed Tools in New Shop

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Situating Fixed Tools in New Shop

Post by Harold_V »

warmstrong1955 wrote:For the Hammond....not a clue.
Best I could do with one is chase off cats....

;)
Bill
I just put something by Jimmy Smith on the stereo (like Got My Mojo Workin'). Hard to beat his skill on the organ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBFmFygqllc

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I love Jimmy Smith.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I went and looked at an old time machinist shop a few months ago. The guy was selling his tools, so I got the tour. One big lathe - 18" or 20" diameter maybe was sitting in the middle of the small shop. He had cut a 4" hole in the side of his shop to slide 20' long shafting into the shop. He bolted a round cast iron pipe flange and backing plate on the inside and outside of the hole in the wall, then attached an 1/8" swiveling plate to the inside of the flange to block off the hole when not in use. The hole was lined up with the headstock so he could insert 20' long round stock into the building thence through his headstock for turning parts. Way cool use of space!

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

Glenn Brooks wrote:I went and looked at an old time machinist shop a few months ago. The guy was selling his tools, so I got the tour. One big lathe - 18" or 20" diameter maybe was sitting in the middle of the small shop. He had cut a 4" hole in the side of his shop to slide 20' long shafting into the shop. He bolted a round cast iron pipe flange and backing plate on the inside and outside of the hole in the wall, then attached an 1/8" swiveling plate to the inside of the flange to block off the hole when not in use. The hole was lined up with the headstock so he could insert 20' long round stock into the building thence through his headstock for turning parts. Way cool use of space!

Glenn
Interesting. I suspect that may have been common practice in the past. A few years ago I was in one of our larger local shops and they had four or five lathes ranging in size from probably 17" up to about 36" all lined up parallel with each other, oriented about 45 degrees to the wall with each ones headstock about four feet from the wall. There was a "trap door" about 12" square cut into the wall at each lathe that was aligned with the spindle for the same purpose as you've said. Unfortunately, that shop has gone the way of most machine shops in this area.....belly up!

Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

I cut a 3" hole in a metal shelving unit beside the headstock of my lathe to put longer pieces through. Space was tight and it was easier to clear off the end of the shelf rather than try to move the lathe or shelving unit for clearance. Same reasons, as above, only on a smaller scale.

Could the reason have been for staggering the lathes was to keep the guy in front of you being showered by your chips and cutting oil?

Pete
larry_g

Post by larry_g »

https://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner

I used the above to preplan my layout and to see if tools would fit. I was pleased with it could do.

lg
no neat sig line
I am unique, just like everyone else.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

That's the greatest thing I've ever seen. I was wishing I had something like that. Thank you.

On the down side, you have killed my afternoon.
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

larry_g wrote:https://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner

I used the above to preplan my layout and to see if tools would fit. I was pleased with it could do.

lg
Well, thanks a lot for posting that seven years too late ! :lol:

That looks like a pretty handy tool.

Thanks for posting

Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
larry_g

Post by larry_g »

Well if you would just have a little patience and stop rushing into stuff ;)

lg
I am unique, just like everyone else.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

SteveHGraham--

Thank you for this topic. Hopefully, l will need to refer back to it several times in a few months!

--Bill
You are what you write.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Hey, thank Larry. That Grizzly thing is great. I was wishing I had something like that, and now I have it.

Right now my shop plan looks empty. It's like I have too much space.

I know how long that illusion will last.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

seal killer wrote:SteveHGraham--

Thank you for this topic. Hopefully, l will need to refer back to it several times in a few months!

--Bill
Now Bill....you will soon have the New, Improved, Bigger, Badder, Computer Designed Garage Mahal!

;)
Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.