Tailstock pressure

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: Tailstock pressure

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Yup....short pipe....grooved on both ends Earlgo. I've welded up a kazillion of 'em, and had my guys weld up 10 kazillion more.. :)
I realize this ended up as a regional discussion, but there are nomenclature variances between industries as well, and I was just pointing that out.
My plumber friend just pointed out, that a Dutchman to him, is a short pipe made to slide in side a larger pipe, when you need to extend a drain or something. May be sealed, may not.

Slushers & tuggers, used a lot of taper pins, as both shear pins, and Dutchmen. They were designed back in the day, when the thought of simple repair tools played a part in the construction of things. If you have a buzzy wrench and a mine ax, you can take one apart.
I used to buy a bunch of different sizes and types, including the ones threaded on the end for blind holes.
Some also used capscrews and setscrews for Dutchmen, typically in the gearboxes. See a lot of that style in older crushers, as well as Browning taper-locks.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

See, here we go again.
If you drill and pin a hole,... its "Pinned"
If you thread the hole, then its a Dutchman
Now if you make a Taper lock bushing , where half the hole is threaded and half the hole was a straight bore, to allow the set screw to bottom out and exert pressure on one component....then that was known as a "Half Dutchman" :D
That's what I was taught.
Of course if your Foreman was your instructor, you may have heard it when he was "3 sheets to the wind"
Rich
Patio

Post by Patio »

I am relatively new at this, but have heard the term "Friction drive" to describe the use of a center and a plate to hold a part.
An interesting feature of the Cazeneuve lathe is it uses a set of wave washers, in the worm gear setup of the tailstock, to accommodate the pressure of the expanding part so you don't destroy your live center.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Patio wrote:I am relatively new at this, but have heard the term "Friction drive" to describe the use of a center and a plate to hold a part.
That's a lot less confusing than "center plating" or "pressure plating".
An interesting feature of the Cazeneuve lathe is it uses a set of wave washers, in the worm gear setup of the tailstock, to accommodate the pressure of the expanding part so you don't destroy your live center.
Good idea. It would be even more useful with a dead center. The only problem is that it would interfere with locking the ram. I'll try to incorporate that feature if I ever get around to building a live center.
Patio

Post by Patio »

John Hasler wrote:The only problem is that it would interfere with locking the ram.
John, being it is a worm and pinion, it self locks. There is no lock on the quill of the tailstock.
It is a quill and not a ram. Then again, maybe that is like chips and swarf?
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Patio wrote:John, being it is a worm and pinion, it self locks. There is no lock on the quill of the tailstock.
There has to be some clearance (which will increase with use) around the quill or it woudn't move, so it isn't quite rigid. The only way I can see around this would be to use headstock-quality bearings. The lock makes it rigid even on old machines like my Logan.
It is a quill and not a ram. Then again, maybe that is like chips and swarf?
I guess so. I think of a quill as having a spindle inside it.
Patio

Post by Patio »

John Hasler wrote:I think of a quill as having a spindle inside it.
Makes sense to me.
I have wondered why is does not seem to have a lock.
I am learning as I go. That is why I find this thread interesting.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Patio writes:

> I have wondered why is does not seem to have a lock.

Perhaps the tailstock ram bearings on your lathe are that good. After all, the bearings in a live center are.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Soon I intend to do a video on the lathe, they we can all have a discussion about it and it's features.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!