PUCK LIGHTS!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: PUCK LIGHTS!

Post by SteveHGraham »

The puck lights had an issue, so here I am to save the day.

I installed a light on the underside of the top shelf of one of my welding carts. They install with double-sided tape. I forgot one of the cardinal rules of tape: any tape that has any tension at all applied to it will come loose with time. A few days back, I was sitting in the garage, and I heard a bonky noise. It was the light falling off of the shelf.

Today I decided to fix it. I had two choices: glue one big rare earth magnet to it, or use three little ones. I did not want to waste a big one, so I took the latter option. Problem: if you put three strong magnets close to each other, they will not hold still while glue cures.

I clamped the magnets in place while the epoxy cured, and it looks like I have a successful project. If you're using similar lights on a machine tool, you may have one land in your work one of these days, so I hope you will benefit from my experience.

I don't know how well epoxy will hold magnets over time. If they fall off, I'll find a better epoxy.

Possibly useful link: https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p= ... um-magnets
Attachments
05 21 17 puck light with magnets glued on small.jpg
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.