Marking Taps & Material for Chuck Keys

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Marking Taps & Material for Chuck Keys

Post by SteveHGraham »

Two items.

1. Can anyone recommend a method of marking cutting tools that doesn't involve engraving? I was thinking there might be something I could apply that would resist oil and solvents. Maybe apply it with a small brush. I'm getting tired of squinting at drill bits and taps to see what size they are. Engraving wouldn't provide contrast, although I suppose I could engrave and then wipe some kind of paint over the marks to make them stand out.

I don't have an engraving tool. I do have a pencil grinder.

I got a big assortment of China HSS taps and dies from Travers, and while they may not be the best, they have been incredibly handy. Haven't let me down yet, and they save wear on my US taps. If I jar or drop the box, though, things move around, and it's time to get the reading glasses out.

2. I'm thinking of making a couple of stubby keys with short T-handles to use when indicating things in the 4-jaw. Would I need to harden the ends of the keys? The wouldn't get much pressure, but I suppose they could wear over time. If so, what's a good material to use? I suppose I would need something like 5/8" round bar.

I'm not sure if hard is the way to go, but I believe my Gator keys have hardened ends. It may be that it's best to use annealed metal, because it's better to wear out a key than a chuck. I could leave the ends a little long and then grind them back to straight material when they get deformed.

I made a wooden shelf for the headstock of my lathe, and it's fantastic. It makes it a little difficult to get in with a key to change chucks, though. I'm thinking maybe I should make a bit with a hex on one end and a square on the other. I could put the hex in a socket wrench, insert the square in the chuck, and turn the locks that way. The huge key that came with the lathe doesn't really make sense. It has a T-handle, which makes it take up room, but I believe all you really need is one side of the T. The cams don't turn very far.

Another option would be to get a used extension bar for a 1/2"-drive socket wrench and grind the end down to size. The key for the cams is about 0.0470" across.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Evans

Re: Marking Taps & Material for Chuck Keys

Post by John Evans »

Just use some 4140 pre hard it is about R 32-35 . Easy to machine and still hard enough to wear a long time as a short handled chuck key.
www.chaski.com
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Sweet! Thanks. For the cam locks, I think I'll just get an extension bar. Too easy.

I found one solution for the tool-marking problem, but it's primarily for tools that come with marks stamped in them. It should be great for Allen wrenches and other small items that have microscopic stamps. If I mark them in a bright color that clashes with chrome and black oxide, it should work okay.

warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I've built a bunch of keys, square, hex, and pentagon, with old grade 8 cap-screws.
Very comparable to 4140/4142 Q&T (pre-hardened), and they machine nicely too.

101 uses to what many call 'junk'.

;)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The "Edit Post" feature is gone! How about that. I was going to add a link to the video that shows how to mark tools with paint markers.

The grade 8 tip is excellent. It's a lot easier to get bolts than bars.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Man, I can't add that video to save my life. What happened to the "Edit" feature? Was someone going back and editing posts to make it look like he was winning flame wars?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfrqWybidfk
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Steve,

The tool marking vid is there....three times.... Opens in all 3 messages too!

You not seeing it??
I am!

Bill
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Are you messing with me?
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Here's the announcement about editing posts:

https://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vi ... 7&t=105176

I tried to get your video to work but couldn't.

Perhaps something else is going on with that.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

warmstrong1955 wrote:You not seeing it??
I am! l
Don't trigger him, bro!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

GlennW wrote:
warmstrong1955 wrote:You not seeing it??
I am! l
Don't trigger him, bro!
Goodness.....I forgot..... :shock:
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Warmstrong hacked it.