Surface Grinding

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Surface Grinding

Post by Bill Shields »

Who says that a V block has to be 90 degrees?

As long as the angle is uniform along the length...does it matter?
Considering manufacturing with a cylindrical wheel, having the included angle greater than 90 makes a lot of sense...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

https://testbook.com/question-answer/v- ... 27a8fce858

I do set square work in them from time to time.

They (B&S) don't have a relief groove but neither do the Starretts. Both were machine finished. I was wondering if there would be a specification or another reason beyond, it's easier/cheaper to make a less useful jig.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Besides the fact that they make other products intended to hold square work?🤪
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Well, I guess after watching a Suburban Tool video, which is more accurate to use when measuring out of roundness, [strike]45[/strike] 90 or 60 degree Vs? I can say neither :D
Last edited by ctwo on Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

huh?
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Well, of course I meant 90 or 60 degrees. I was thinking of the 45 you get when you set a square block into V.

But just in case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUeFNGslzZo
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I say huh? not because of your specified angle, but because there is always a consideration regarding how an item is supported when measuring ->

when working in any type of "V" block -> the contact surface becomes your reference point rather than using the 'theoretical center' as the reference ->

which you cannot do in any type of a 'V' block -> no matter what the included angle.

If you have a perfectly round item, then it will matter not what included angle V block you use.

If you have a non-round item, the V block testing routine will TELL YOU that the part is OUT OF ROUND, but will rarely give you an exact value...since 'out of round' can be anything from an ellipse, to an ovoid (egg) or <use your imagination>
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

So you're saying Don is incorrect? I suspect there is a particular shape that would not reveal any out of roundness in either V-block using that method.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ctwo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:15 pm So you're saying Don is incorrect? I suspect there is a particular shape that would not reveal any out of roundness in either V-block using that method.
Don't think so.
A centerless grinder grinds parts slightly above or below center. How much isn't really critical, so long as it's not truly center. They limit the amount for various reasons, one of which is that the part must retain traction with the regulating wheel.

If parts are run on center, the end result can be a three sided grind that measures exactly the same at every point, yet the part isn't round. By checking the part by rotating in a V block of any angle, the error will be displayed, albeit without a true value. For that reason I suspect that there is no shape that would not display the error to some degree. Am I nuts? :?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

A 60° would be my choice if looking for tri-lobed parts such as setting up a centerless grinder.
V Block.jpg
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

The number you get is all a function of how much the CENTER of the part moves up / down / left / right as you rotate an irregular shaped part in a set of V blocks.

from a mathematical standpoint, you should be measuring the distance from the theoretical center out to the edge....after all, that is what the TERM ROUNDNESS MEANS -> the difference from the theoretical circle to the actual circle... :D

which (in reality) means that you get a better number from 'on centers' than you do in any type of a V block...
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

"centerless" ground
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!