Is Shop Life Possible Without AC in Florida?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Is Shop Life Possible Without AC in Florida?

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote:I'm not pessimistic about containing sawdust. A little drywall and a door will do it.
It's called isolating atmospheres. So long as one side does not share air with the other, yeah, you can control the dust, but if it does, you can expect some dusting.

I've dealt with this issue with acid fumes. I was successful, but I also had independent heat sources, with complete isolation of atmospheres between the rooms in question.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I looked at the house with the big shop this weekend. The road leading to it is about a third of a mile long and barely two lanes wide. Thick woods on both sides. Not bad! Neighbors aren't my thing. There was a deer stand in a tree in the side yard, along with a deer feeder. The owner's deceased husband was apparently killing deer a hundred yards from his house.

I didn't know it was legal to feed deer and then shoot them by the feeder. Seems awfully easy.

The shop building is ridiculous. It turned out the whole place was ducted for AC. That's 3000 square feet. It needs two compressors, and it also needs a lot of drywall, but man, it looks great. There is a roughed-in apartment on the north side of the bottom floor. I'd get rid of the bathroom and kitchen and just have a utility sink and a toilet. The apartment would be a great metal shop.

I looked at another place. The owner put in a 1000-square-foot cinderblock shop with a garage door on each end. The garage itself is another 800 square feet. I could slap an air conditioner in the detached shop and be done with it.

You can't have things like this in my county, unless you live in the Everglades with the bugs and pythons. It's wonderful to see real houses with real shops.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Hell I live in Canada and can't stand the temps in summer. I cool my shop and I don't think the size would matter to me. Nothing worse than trying to concentrate with sweat everywhere and feeling closed in. I think John has the right answer to your problem by cooling just the area you work in.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I have complained about Miami weather, but it helps to remember that it gets hotter in Chicago. And we don't get subzero temperatures and warnings that we may die if we go outside.

We do have blistering, glaring sun that beats down on roofs and creates high internal temperatures, and the air here always smells like a pile of warm dirty laundry. There is no such thing as fresh air here. And it never cools down at night. If it's 90 during the day, it's 82 at 3 a.m.

One nice thing about northern Florida is that it cools down at night, and that means you can walk into a cool shop at 11 a.m.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

It's a beautiful day here in South Florida!
DSC00531.JPG
Humidity is only 63% though... :)
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I thought you were up around Tampa, with the polar bears.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I'm an East Coaster, 'bout an hour and a half or two North of you.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

In that case, you will soon have reason to envy me, as I move far north, to where...hmm...actually, it's hotter in the summer.

Never mind.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Jeez, what's with all that whining. ;)

We just got a nice cool down with a drop of 10-15*F. It's been a real nice break in the heat! Extended forecast shows only up to about 101-106 with 30-45% humidity. But it's raining pretty much every day (up to 2" in an hour) with my yard wet right now. So I'm thinking humidity is a bit higher than forecast, sure feels like it. Anyway, this nice cool snap won't last long, it'll probably get warm again soon enough...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Wow, that humidity must be getting to you.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I tell you, I can hardly BREATH it's so thick.

I'll tell you one thing, I'll take the heat any day over that muggy bug infested mess I put up with when I lived in WPB. Out here things don't much rust, and most bugs get pretty much burned out in the summer. And while we occasionally see the high side of 118*F, it's usually with tolerable humidity. And did I mention that bare steel doesn't rust unless completely mistreated?
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Heh, Heh, I had to turn on the furnace last night. Got down to 64 without AC. Saturday it got hot here in NH....87 degs. You guys can keep that heat down in Florida.

Jim B