Is Shop Life Possible Without AC in Florida?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Is Shop Life Possible Without AC in Florida?

Post by SteveHGraham »

I am ecstatic about having seasons again. Granted, I'll only have three, but summer will be maybe four months long instead of seven, and the air won't smell like wet laundry all the time. And if you're going to miss a season, winter is the one to pick.

Oddly, I have never had rust problems here, except when I put a jug of pool acid in the garage.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

You have three??
I only seem to have two, muddy and green, followed by dusty and brown.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I think July 23-September 7 should simply be called "hell."
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
juiceclone

Post by juiceclone »

By all means, partition the area to what u need to work in, not storage or other uses. Yeah, it makes for a smaller area, but u can insulate the devil out of that area, put in an ac for just that, and use it regardless of the temps outside. A plus is the ac takes moisture out of the air and, by keeping the temp constant , eliminates condensation on those expensive metal surfaces. In North Fl u will find the temps not so bad during much the year and u won't even be using the ac then.
I live in south Fl and can't work on anything in my shop from about 10 am to 5pm (for more than 20 min or so). I have to run a dehumidifier from midnight to about 9am or rust rules!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

How about movable partitions`?
For instance, big shelving units on wheels [or forkliftable], Or floor to ceiling insulated panels that fit together.
If it's very easy to move [difficult to build so it closes well] then it can be opened up for any larger job, and/or when the weather is better.
If an easier to build design is chosen that's more troublesome to move, then it would likely only be done to change the shop dimensions [like when you get that new machine you will inevitably need room for].
The design will require some ingenuity and thought of course, so that when in position it's sealed on all sides. probably extra sections on top will be needed.

I made such a wall in a living space; the design was tricky but construction was fairly easy. People can't tell that it's removable until I tell them.
I also wired the lights in the 'buffer' zone so they can be quickly changed to be switched from the appropriate side of the partition if the position is changed.
Get that big shop!!!
You'll solve the other problems.