drilling/cutting holes in wire mesh

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John R

drilling/cutting holes in wire mesh

Post by John R »

I need to drill 1/4 holes in carburetor flame arrestor wire mesh. It is stainless steel and a very tight weave, and while the wire diameter of the mesh isn't very thick this is pretty tuff stuff. Has anyone done something like this? I thought I would use a washer, or piece of steel with a hole drilled in it, and clamp the area I want to drill pretty tight against an underlaying steel surface, and then cut the hole with a 1/4" end mill at a high rpm. I do not want whatever I am cutting the hole with to grab the edges of the mesh and pull on it anywhere as this could ruin the whole thing.
rudd

Re: drilling/cutting holes in wire mesh

Post by rudd »

I think I'd consider making a punch and die for this. A small arbor press would provide plenty of pressure.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I've done that with some stainless screen.
I just used an endmill instead of a drill.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I would use a 1/4" grinding stone with the screen sandwiched.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
John R

Post by John R »

Well we went to the big annual Pontiac show in Norwalk Ohio last week and there was a fellow there with the air cleaners in question on his car. I asked him how he put the holes for the studs in them and he said he used an awl and worked up to a 1/4" rod in two steps. When I got home I tried it and it worked fine. There are some of the tiny wires in the mesh sticking out around the circumference of the little holes but with the washer and wing nuts in place you cannot see them and even if you could see them they would not be noticeable from the side of the car looking into the engine bay.

Duh! Sure glad I hadn't attempted anything yet.
spro

Post by spro »

Anyway it worked is good beyond grinding or less miniscule particules getting sucked in. I know this happens all the time with extreme velocity of the intake but it isn't right there. In a way I wonder about a screen sometimes. When they rust or fall apart, they send a load into the valve seats and cylinder walls. Perchance a bat isn't good at either side.