Trend/Decline in hobby related Yahoo Groups Participation?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Atkinson_Railroad

Trend/Decline in hobby related Yahoo Groups Participation?

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

There appears to be a continued curve downward in several Yahoo Groups (originally E-Groups) participation.

Among the long time dwellers devoted to on-line participation with-in hobby related websites,
do you have any hints/opinions as to what is going on with Yahoo Groups? (Or not going on?)

John
WJH

Re: Trend/Decline in hobby related Yahoo Groups Participation?

Post by WJH »

Yahoo sucks, people just don't want to bother with their system anymore!
pete

Post by pete »

+ 1 and a metric butt load of how bad Yahoo sucks. Only my opinion but it's format was never thought out at all well and hasn't seemed to ever get any better. The files and pictures work semi ok, but for any topics in the general discussion it's just about worthless. Yahoo seems only concerned about itself and nothing about what would help the people trying to use there minimal efforts. Seems to me there's a real opportunity for anyone with a bit of backing and some professional computer help to turn Yahoo into into a bad memory. Youtube is slightly better but could use a long overdue overhaul as well. An I.Q. and sanity check before allowing anyone to comment wouldn't hurt either. :-)
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Atkinson_Railroad wrote:There appears to be a continued curve downward in several Yahoo Groups (originally E-Groups) participation.

Among the long time dwellers devoted to on-line participation with-in hobby related websites,
do you have any hints/opinions as to what is going on with Yahoo Groups? (Or not going on?)
Yahoo's whole setup is cumbersome, slow and bogged down with advertising. Who needs that nonsense?
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

What every one has said, in caps! Iam on a couple of yahoo groups and can't even get their native yahoo email to work - so have resorted to downloading a third party yahoo groups app just to read messages and occasionally reply.

Their programming code is archaic and they make no effort to modernize or support the services they offer. Plus the basic architecture and user interface of their messaging is terrible to say the least.

Rats! now Iam all worked up about yet another POS issue I can't do anything about. :|
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I simply won't try to access Yahoo. It's way too cumbersome (and frustrating) to use.
As far as I'm concerned, it can come to an abrupt end and do the world a favor.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

At a time I was a member of many Yahoo boards. I also set to receive any new messages by email but became tired of seeing spam and --------------- type come-ons. I know that certain moderator worked hard to clean things up.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

What's Yahoo?

(had to say it)

Of course they are, have been, tanking for some time. I have an email account with them and belong to several groups, and I got an email last week they are selling the biz. It is done!

Abandon ship, mates!

They will sell everything they can for pennies... You are on sale. Like for cheap!
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
TRX

Post by TRX »

Yahoo's email system is/was seriously broken. Near the end, about 20% of the messages never made it to me. Their web interface was too slow, ugly, and annoying to be a useful alternative.

I belonged to a number of mailing lists, some long before Yahoo absorbed them, but finally unsubbed from them all. Some were quite good, but the suck factor of having to deal with Yahoo was more than the lists were worth to me.
Harold_V

Re:

Post by Harold_V »

TRX wrote: but the suck factor of having to deal with Yahoo was more than the lists were worth to me.
Exactly. When the benefit is outweighed, by far, than the punishment received in trying, it's time to quit trying.
I realize that not all brown dogs bite, but when several brown dogs have bitten you, it starts to make you wonder.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.