Weird Shank on Boring Head

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Re: Weird Shank on Boring Head

Post by whateg0 »

It's late and I am tired, so I admit, I skimmed the thread. The parts to make use of a Flynn head are expensive. But, they seem to be really nice, at least mine is. Mine came with a 3/4" straight shank, but it's short, so I don't really lose much with it. When I called Flynn about the shank, I think they said it was a 12 tpi thread. I'd have to go back and see if I can find my notes. I do know it was different than all the Criterion and similar I've seen. Wouldn't be terrible to make a new shank, I don't think, but if it was me, rather than trying to hit the R8 taper, I would make what I have now. It fits nicely in a 3/4" collet and I did put it in a boring bar holder on the lathe once for something.

FWIW, Flynn is a little rich for my blood, too, but I got it for a song. It was on Ebay and nobody was bidding on it. I did find it listed on a few sites for about $450, IIRC, and I paid less than $100. It didn't have a mark on it when I got it. I had to put a mark on it a couple months ago just to say it was mine, I guess. Man, it sure did hurt to mess up that beauty!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I'm happy with my results, and I'm surprised how much I learned from fixing the tool.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Flynn

Post by Flynn »

Hi.
If we can be of any assistance we at Flynn Machine Products will be glad to answer questions.

Frank Smith
Flynn Machine Products