Weird Shank on Boring Head

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

GlennW

Re: Weird Shank on Boring Head

Post by GlennW »

I looked at the Flynn site and it looks like the R8 shanks are $88.00, but it's the CAT 40 shanks are $275.00.

And they also make facing heads that use the same shanks...
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

F everyone's I, a shank from Shars costs $20. They don't have 2-20 threads, though.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Flynn appears to use 1 7/16"-12 and 2"-12 threaded shanks from what I am seeing.

Have you removed yours yet to see what it actually is?
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It appears that there is some "flexibility" in the pricing of those Flynn arbors. KBC charges $175.

I am starting to like the idea of using a stub, as long as it's safe. Anything that increases work-to-spindle clearance and does away with knee cranking is good. I just don't want the boring head to fly out of a collet and kill someone dear to me, i.e. myself.

I'm wondering if that arbor is some clever person's way of making a straight shank fit an R8 taper. Flynn offers National tapers and Pratt & Whitney tapers, but not this thing. That makes it look like a shopmade tool. The machining is very clean, like a factory part.

I see conflicting information on that arbor. One site says the threads are 2-12, but how can that be, in a 3" head? It would leave very little meat around the outside of the head. Another says it's 1-7/16-12. I can get a 1-1/2-18 shank, but I'm sure there wouldn't be enough material on it to take it down to 1-7/16-12.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The figure "2-20" was not what I actually saw. I should never try to think early or late in the day.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

1-7/16 is 1.4375, and the thread depth for 1-1/2-18 is .048, so let's see...1.5 - 2(.048)...not going to work.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

SteveHGraham wrote: I should never try to think early or late in the day.
I find that sometimes the middle part doesn't work too well either.

Criterion likes 20 tpi, so I imagine the Chinese do too!

The threaded area on a Flynn looks longer than most.
Glenn

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

GlennW wrote:It's a single point tool and the tool tip will always run concentric with the spindle axis regardless of shank error.
You are right. I stand corrected.

Steve
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

SteveM wrote:
GlennW wrote:It's a single point tool and the tool tip will always run concentric with the spindle axis regardless of shank error.

Steve
Yes, but you were correct in that if it was a boring/facing head shank error could come into play when facing.
Glenn

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I just hope it turns out to be in good shape. Seventy bucks is not bad for an American 3" boring head.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

GlennW wrote:
SteveM wrote:

Steve
Yes, but you were correct in that if it was a boring/facing head shank error could come into play when facing.
Yep! Any error would translate to an angled surface, although consistent with the centerline. You'd create a concave or convex surface, depending on the nature of the misalignment. All the more reason to achieve a dead perpendicular shoulder/thread pitch relationship.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The boring head arrived. It looks like it has never been used. It has a lot of little dings that look like they came from bouncing in a drawer.

I colored the taper with a Sharpie and stuck it in my mill spindle to see if it fit an R8. No joy. I can't even see where the taper made contact with the spindle. Also, the shaft is too short for the internal threads to reach the drawbar.

Not sure what to do with this nice stainless arbor. It must go with a spindle from Mars.