Weird Shank on Boring Head

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Weird Shank on Boring Head

Post by SteveHGraham »

I found a neat deal on a Flynn boring head. It has a weird shank, however. It's a straight 5/8" shank with a tapered bit at the bottom, and it has threads inside it. It almost looks like someone cut out part of an R8 shank.

My question: if I tried to run this in a 5/8" collet, would I be inviting destruction? I think I would. It's pretty long.

A new R8 shank would only be about $250.
Attachments
05 28 17 boring head strange shank.jpg
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveM

Re: Weird Shank on Boring Head

Post by SteveM »

Besides the downside of the huge overhang, you are at the mercy of the skill of whoever turned that down.

$250 for a shank? You're almost as big a cheapskate as I am. There must be an alternative.

Can you turn something between centers with a 3/4" shank to work in a collet?

What are the threads?

Can you use something like this:
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/p ... &category=

Steve
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It's hard to get info on the threads, but I believe the thread attaching the shank to the head is 2"-20. Not sure why the shanks cost so much. I suppose they must be super-precise. I could make a straight shank with a 2"-20 thread myself. Or I could take this one out of the head and turn the fat part to fit in the collet. Not sure how well that would work. If I couldn't match the diameter of the existing shank, I would have to make it a couple of thousandths smaller.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I think this is the part it should have.

http://www.pts-canada.com/cgi/CGP2SRIM? ... 0text/html
leeko

Post by leeko »

Forgive my ignorance, but why would it be a problem? Boring heads are designed to run eccentric, so even if the PO was blind drunk when he turned it down, it shouldn't matter. If the length of the shank is excessive, chop off the excess down to the length that is grippable in the collet. I think 5/8" should be plenty of meat for the type of cuts you'd likely be making with a boring head. The only issue i can see is if the turned shank has a significant taper, limiting the surface contact in the collet.

Lee

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

leeko wrote:Boring heads are designed to run eccentric, so even if the PO was blind drunk when he turned it down, it shouldn't matter.
Yes, they run eccentric (otherwise, they wouldn't do anything), but you don't want a wobble that would cause the bottom edge of a bored hold to not be square to the hole.

If I were turning the shank down. I would turn it to the size of the largest collet I had, which in the case of R8 is 3/4".

For my Bridgeport M, I have tools on 1/2" shanks, because that's the largest.

Steve
leeko

Post by leeko »

SteveM wrote:
leeko wrote:Boring heads are designed to run eccentric, so even if the PO was blind drunk when he turned it down, it shouldn't matter.
Yes, they run eccentric (otherwise, they wouldn't do anything), but you don't want a wobble that would cause the bottom edge of a bored hold to not be square to the hole.

If I were turning the shank down. I would turn it to the size of the largest collet I had, which in the case of R8 is 3/4".

For my Bridgeport M, I have tools on 1/2" shanks, because that's the largest.

Steve
Steve,

That's a fair point, and one i hadn't considered. I still wouldn't think twice about throwing it in the spindle and seeing how good it runs. If it's off, press a sleeve onto the shank and turn it back down yourself. I wouldn't spend $250 on a shank - much more important things to downs money on :)

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Sadly, the shank is 5/8" right now, so that's the smallest I could hope to go. Again, I wonder why I couldn't make my own shank. There must be a reason why people pay $250 for them.
leeko

Post by leeko »

SteveHGraham wrote:Sadly, the shank is 5/8" right now, so that's the smallest I could hope to go. Again, I wonder why I couldn't make my own shank. There must be a reason why people pay $250 for them.
Steve, see my post above. Press a sleeve onto the 5/8 shank, then turn it to whatever size you want

Lee

rudd

Post by rudd »

It may be made to fit a Clarkson collet chuck - British make. Without dimensions that is speculation, but it looks about right . I have the Clarkson set-up on my CVA miller. The collet chuck is visible in the black and white illustration. I have looked hard, but not found any literature on this particular Clarkson product.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/cvamiller/
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

SteveHGraham wrote: I could make a straight shank with a 2"-20 thread myself. .
That's a winner right there.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

SteveM wrote:Yes, they run eccentric (otherwise, they wouldn't do anything), but you don't want a wobble that would cause the bottom edge of a bored hold to not be square to the hole.
I'm not sure I follow what you are referring to there.

It's a single point tool and the tool tip will always run concentric with the spindle axis regardless of shank error.

You can mount your DTI in the spindle and bend it any position you want and it will always give an true reading. (well, to the accuracy of the DTI itself)
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!