Help Me Understand my Boring Head Arbor

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Re: Help Me Understand my Boring Head Arbor

Post by ctwo »

SteveHGraham wrote:Interesting sidenote: I got a good suggestion for removing the arbor. You mill the flange down to nothing and then try to turn the arbor. The flange pressure helps keep the arbor stuck in place.

I considered this when I was thinking about the problem, but since no one else had suggested it at that time, I decided not to take a chance.
First reply:
GlennW wrote:If you prefer to make a new arbor you can always just machine the old one off of the boring head if you can't get it to unscrew.
But you got it done the harder easy way. :twisted:
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

If you take a look, Glenn wasn't talking about unscrewing it. He was talking about the brute force/many chips way, which I already knew.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

From the gun-smithing side of things:
The only way that an Enfield barrel can be removed (without disgusting body noises) is to set the barreled action up in the lathe and cut a deep slot just in front of the receiver ring with a cutoff tool. This relieves the compressive stresses and allows the barrel to be unscrewed with not much effort. This we were taught at the Colorado School of trades in 1970 when folks were still sporterizing Enfields. Every other military barrel came out by using the barrel vise and action wrench. The instructors had tried the same procedure with the Enfields and said it was just not possible. They said that the barrels were screwed in by machine at the factory.
Soooo, transferring that info, what the fellows say about turning off the flange first may be the way to go.
Good luck.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.