Surface grinder bench

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Surface grinder bench

Post by SteveM »

So I now have a Sanford benchtop surface grinder.

It's a tiny thing as surface grinders go, using 4" wheels and having a capacity, according to the sales literature, of 4x8x6 and a weight of all of 160 lbs.

My question is what should I be mounting this on? It's not a floor-standing model with a heavy cast-iron pedestal.

I suspect that I will need a pretty stout bench to reduce vibration to a minimum.

Would it be worth pouring a concrete slab a few inches thick on the top of (or inset into) the workbench for it to sit on?

How about getting a used surface place or other piece of stone?

Steve
BadDog

Re: Surface grinder bench

Post by BadDog »

A casual friend of mine bought one at auction. It came on a very stout 3 (splayed) leg stand/table with a 3/4" top a bit over 24x24. Looks like it was designed to sit at while operating. He moved it to a heavy cabinet top, and I have not hear any complaints. He had no room for the table, so it now serves as my small fab and TIG table (among other things).
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper