Strange failure NOT !

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Strange failure NOT !

Post by John Evans »

My tool dealer friend got in a couple of Bridgeport Eztrac mills last week and he and his employee were powering them up to check for issues. One powered up just fine,the other spindle was dead as a hammer but everything else was working OK. Finally Ron opened up the power cabinet and I spotted some paper work. Great! a wiring diagram. Now I'm a total loss on electrics. Manually engaging contactors got the spindle to run. I was looking at the wiring diagram to see what the control voltage was when I saw a "lube " label with a switch icon. Mill has a power way lube system, had a inch or so of lube in the tank. But added some anyway. Eureka !!! fixed that sucker!! :D Regular CNC machines will throw a alarm for low/no lube, but this basic mill didn't say a thing. Pure chance I saw that on the wiring diagram. :oops:
www.chaski.com
spro

Re: Strange failure NOT !

Post by spro »

Another sensor you knew could be there. Cool!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I hope you received a beer or something for that save.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

A beer? Are you serious? Let it remain unstated about how good works are repaid or not.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I have a Tree CNC mill that I seldom use, but often manually pull the plunger on the lube pump if I walk past it just to keep the metering units from plugging up.

I decided to use the machine a few weeks ago, got all set up, and the spindle did nothing when I hit the foreword or reverse button. No fault message on the screen.

I figured while I was looking into the spindle issue I might as well hut the oiling plunger again to get the machine lubed up and remembered seeing a float valve in the reservoir. Took a look and sure enough, the reservoir was almost empty.

Dumped in some way oil and sure enough, the spindle came back to life.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!