Good Screwdrivers With Handles That Don't Dissolve?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Good Screwdrivers With Handles That Don't Dissolve?

Post by SteveHGraham »

When I set myself up with screwdrivers (other than the cheese-consistency Craftsmans I got before I knew anything about life), I picked Klein. They seem like great tools, but if you get gasoline on the rubber part of the handles, they get slippery and feel like they're melting. I'm thinking of picking up a few new screwdrivers without rubber handles, for working on cars and bikes.

Wondering if anyone here has tried Wera Chiseldrivers. They appear to be fantastic tools, but the handles are synthetic, and I don't want to have the same problem the Kleins gave me. Also thinking about Felo screwdrivers with wooden handles. They're really neat. Like the Weras, they have full-length tangs with striking caps, and they are set up so you can put wrenches on them. If some solvent dissolves the finish, I can put poly on them or just not worry about it. They probably have poly on them already.

The Felos are not expensive on Amazon. Five for $26. Seems like the deal of the century, but after the set, you have to buy the rest one at a time.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
fly5150

Re: Good Screwdrivers With Handles That Don't Dissolve?

Post by fly5150 »

I have a full set of the Wera screwdrivers and the allen drivers, and they are still in great condition. The grease and dirt cleans off easily with alcohol and i have not had any issues with the handles.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thanks. That is helpful. Although $26 is hard to turn down.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Speaking as a heavy equipment mechanic, but nothing to do with that icky nasty gasoline stuff..... (taboo in mines)

My favorite is Snap-On. Black 4-cornered handles, have a hex just below the handle to slip a wrench on, and they hold up better than any I have had.
Wooden handled, I like the Mac ones. Square-ish grip, so you can get a grip. I assume they still sell them....mine are pretty old.
Proto is OK....nothing great.
Any with the rubber sleeve for grip....are garbage in my work, unless you are OK with re-gluing the sleeves back on from time to time. Fuel, oil, makes the sleeve slip & spin. Hate 'em.

No idea on the Wera screwdrivers, so I can't help you there. I do have some Wera hex keys, as many broken and twisted as still pristine. The Bhondus hex keys holds up a lot better. (remember....mining equipment, and cheater bars are standard equipment)

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Everyone likes Snap-On, but the prices are completely insane, so I took them off my list.

Interesting stuff about the hex keys. I have a bunch of Wiha ball-end keys. They were winking at me from a display at the electronics supermarket, and I had to have them. I figured...Wiha. They must be great. Why buy Bondhus when these Wihas are right here, flirting with me? I have had no problems with them, but now you say another German company has let you down, so I wonder.

Unless I am badly misinformed, Klein screwdrivers are intended for electrical work, so maybe they don't expect you to get solvents or lubricants on them. When they're dry, they're wonderful. If I had known about the wet issues, I would have bought something else. I can use Wera drivers on electronics, but I don't want to use Kleins on motorcycles.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

If you buy Snap-On tools, don't buy them off the truck, unless you are OK with grabbing your ankles. You can gets a deal or two from the truck guys, specials & such, and replace broken tools, but that's it.
If you go through a Snap-On industrial sales rep, the prices are not bad.

I have some Wiha's too. Some hanging on the wall by my mill. Better than Wera in my experience.

Klein....and Proto used to make the rubber grip screwdrivers too. Problem in a mine....you play mechanic most of the time, but electrician some of the time too. And most places....it's wet, and oily....So....we don't pack around what we don't need to. That's why I mentioned what I do, and where I use 'em.
Most of my Electricians carried Klein's....but Electrical work was their primary thing, although, they also worked on equipment.

What you get and works for you has more to do with what you are doing.
ie; I have a Horror Freight set of inch & metric plastic handled T-hex wrenches I use for my lathe & mill. For that, they are fine. 15 years old give or take. Use them to remove split flange fittings....or something 'real', they would be dead in short order. Tightening screws for carbide inserts, and in boring heads....pretty light duty.

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

fly5150 wrote:I have a full set of the Wera screwdrivers and the allen drivers, and they are still in great condition. The grease and dirt cleans off easily with alcohol and i have not had any issues with the handles.
I recommend the Wera product as well. Well-made and reasonable in price.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
fly5150

Post by fly5150 »

Sorry, I was wrong, I have all Wiha tools.

https://www.amazon.com/66982-ErgoStar-L ... wiha+allen
Best Allen Keys I have used.

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-36793-8-Pie ... ing+driver
I use these almost daily. I love them and they cleanup easy and quickly.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Those look nice, but they're not screwdrivers.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Here is another mans opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE-pojHecvE

Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I watched that yesterday. If I'm thinking of the right video, the crude language came in before the 5-second mark. When I watch him, I grit my teeth the whole time. He really seems to know his screwdrivers.
Bentworker

Post by Bentworker »

I've probably logged more screwdriver hours than most.

Hands down the best insulated screwdrivers are Wiha. Their insulated slimline series is fantastic. Insulation is tough, yet the profile is small enough that it does not get in the way. They are seriously leaps and bounds better than the other insulated screwdrivers out there. In fact they are so good that even if you rarely use insulated tools I'd still suggest them as long as you don't use them for a pry bar.

The standard Wiha screwdrivers are really good, the steel used in all of their screwdrivers is pretty amazing. I'd place them above Snap-on or Klein as far as tip life. Normally I'd get a couple years out of a standard 1/4" Klein at work. The Wiha life seems to be two or three times that

I like the softfinish and proturn handles. Honestly I have not exposed them to solvents. I will try and see what happens

About my only gripe is that they are all identical looking as far as color.

https://www.wihatools.com
Shop toys...
10X54" Vectrax GS20F mill with DRO & frequency drive (saved from the scrap pile).
Jet 13x40 lathe.
Powermatic 1150 drill press.
I love Craigslist!