Vacuuming grinder dust

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Vacuuming grinder dust

Post by SteveM »

I saw a grinding video and there was a dust hood hat was being used to vacuum the grinding dust.

What kind of vacuum do you need for this?

I suspect that if I use the same vac as the table saw I'm going to end up with a fire at best and an explosion at worst.

Steve
BadDog

Re: Vacuuming grinder dust

Post by BadDog »

My surface grinder has a built in suction/filter system. The base has a whole row of what look a lot like hanging file folder envelopes, except they are a cloth envelope. The debris is pulled in at the bottom by a good size motor and debris resistant fan. Big stuff falls out on the floor due to loss of velocity and change in direction. Lighter particles still in the flow collect on the envelope bottoms first, and then ever further up as time goes on and lower areas get plugged. Eventually it starts sort of "whistling", and there is a transverse bar you sort of thump the tops with and a bunch of debris falls into the bottom for normal vacuum or brush/pan removal. Seems like a nice system.

I usually try to take my snag grinders outside for use, and an 8" (with heavy crimped brush and general wheel) sets permanently under the awning. So while they do have dust collection ports (standard Baldor cast iron guards, oval for some reason), I don't hook those to vacuums. Seems to work well with relatively easy cleanup when I have to use it inside for smaller/convenience jobs (always dress outside!). If I did need to put something together, I would probably just empty my cyclonic separator on my big shop vac and make an adapter to hook up. I don't see the need for a big filter bag system like used for wood machines, but it should work well enough since the debris has little thermal mass and should cool long before burning a hole in the bag (assuming you have a decent length of hose). But I would think it would be a smart move to eliminate highly flammable dust before using as such.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
ChipMaker4130

Post by ChipMaker4130 »

I put a 'Dust Deputy' from Oneida Systems on my shop vac and pick up a lot (many pounds) of grinding dust, chips, rust, abrasives etc regularly and not the slightest hint of problems. I was skeptical of their claim of keeping 99% of particulates from ever reaching the filter, but I do believe it is that good. Only a tiny amount of the very lightest particles get past the cyclone and checking with a magnet, none of the steel/iron particles ever get through.

It cost me $50 from ACE hardware.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Good choice, I have the same separator on my big shop vac.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

FWIW I just set up standard Sears Vacuum cleaners and have not had a fire in 30 years (yet). Several holes were melted in the hose near the inlet, but no fires. I think that the air velocity is too high for the heat to last too long. Swarf has got to be cool by the time it hits the reservoir.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

ChipMaker4130 wrote:I put a 'Dust Deputy' from Oneida Systems on my shop vac ...
It cost me $50 from ACE hardware.
That's pretty neat. Here's a pic:

Here's the unit:
https://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.a ... =AXD001002

My shop vac has one of those re-usable filters and it works great (have had it on for at least 10 years), but it's a pain in the butt to get clean. It's almost like you need a second shop vac to get the stuff out.

Steve
ChipMaker4130

Post by ChipMaker4130 »

That's the one I used. It is made of very heavy plastic, and the top pops off for cleaning (I vacuum up dirty, oily, coolant coated crap and after a while the cyclone is black). I'm on the original filter in my shop-vac and I've been using it heavily for almost 2 years! I've blown the filter out a couple of times, but there's nothing much ever comes off it.