Starrett Precision #199 Levels

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Starrett Precision #199 Levels

Post by spro »

Some discussion in the For sale/Wanted got me to check mine. To my horrors, there were rust trails!
spro

Re: Starrett Precision #199 Levels

Post by spro »

I couldn't figure out how this would happen. Used saturated toweling of WD40 and thump nail to scrape it off. The last time I used it was for leveling a lathe bed. I thought I put it away clean but something transferred from the oak box. I have read and experienced oak reaction to iron(tannic acid} but that is the way it came. Maybe the oak was coming through the thin shellac or maybe there was supposed to be felt. Yeh probably felt. Anyway, it is stopped. Whew and thanks for the kick in the head or pants.
I cannot find an exact serial # except between the webs is; PEWA794. Does this mean anything? It is the black oak case.
spro

Post by spro »

Okay. I see it now by looking at other cases of these levels. There was a thin section of inert wood in both ends of the case. The main surface of the level was never to contact wood or felt. It was suspended. That is, the 95% was above the direct contact of anything.
Man does that look screwed. There is one thing about shipping and another about preserving.
spro

Post by spro »

Since Starrett built these levels to precision, they shouldn't be in contact with anything except what they were designed to check. How do you suspend this heavy item, How does it remain stable? I think we have it now. The slight concavity was also a look into the future when the level was repeatedly replaced into the case.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

Here in northeast Ohio humidity can be a problem , wood boxes help a lot .
But for things I don't want to rust I like to oil up a piece of Kraft paper to put in the box with it . Deffinatly not a cure all but every little bit helps .
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I broke down and bought a roll of VCI paper and the rack/cutter for it from Uline and keep things wrapped up in it.

It seems to work well, and for longer term storage I spray on some preservative before wrapping.

But for loooonger term storage, I put the preservative/VCI paper wrapped things in a vacuum/heat sealed plastic bag.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

I will add this here. My recommendation for any instrument of this quality is to keep it in the house which should have better temp. and humidity control than the average shop has. The No. 199 is a very precision instrument and should be treated as such.
Cary
spro

Post by spro »

Correct. One season it was in the garage. It is in the house until I need it there.
pete

Post by pete »

My Mitutoyo 960 series level has the box designed so the level gets stored on it's side and not upright resting on the base. WD 40 is terrible for rust prevention. It's little more than diesel with some aromatics added. Some 3 N 1 oil or fine sewing machine oil soaked paper fully covering the levels working face and in a decent box should prevent most or maybe all rust caused by the oak tannins or from humidity.
ccfl

Post by ccfl »

I lusted after a #199 for the longest time... finally forced myself to admit that it was just a fetish object - for me, anyway. I didn't really need one, and the effort required to keep it in the condition it deserved would have been non-trivial. Thanks for reminding me that I did something smart for a change. :wink:
"Never trust a man who puts a witty quote in his sig line." -Mark Twain
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Fine measurement tools always look nice in fitted wood boxes. Problem is that some woods are more prone to become moist from humidity and the acids then formed cause problems. While oak is a nice looking wood, it is notorious for its tannic acid and resulting rust. The choice of an oily wood such as teak is a far better choice for direct contact with metallic parts that can rust. While not as pretty as the grain structure of most varieties of Oak, the oily nature of teak is far better choice. Teak does work well but can be problematic with water based glue if not properly cleaned just before the glue is applied. No wonder teak is the wood of choice for boats and the marine environment.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Rwilliams wrote: While not as pretty as the grain structure of most varieties of Oak,
Hmmm. A matter of personal choice, I'd say. I don't find oak particularly attractive, in spite of the fact that my wife and I own three antique oak pieces (of furniture). Were it not for the refinish they received (at my hand), I'd downright hate two of them.

The third item---a very attractive book case? It stands on its own merits, in spite of being oak.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.