Boring head

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

Re: Boring head

Post by BadDog »

Because he can? :lol: But in truth, the work he does, I can see the value of having a range of sizes. But I suspect at least one is in the category of "too nice and too good a deal to pass on" combined with "I have room..."
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I was able to use a 3/8" square tool bit and I ground down the corners so it fits the 1/2" cross hole. The only trouble is I have to make sure the work I am boring is sitting high enough above the RT so the boring head doesn't hit the RT. I don't know why the companies who make boring heads don't provide some information on using it under various situations.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

SteveHGraham wrote:but why would one person need three jig borers?
Because they are like guitar amps.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

GlennW wrote:
That's a shot! :lol:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
pete

Post by pete »

Mr Ron wrote:I was able to use a 3/8" square tool bit and I ground down the corners so it fits the 1/2" cross hole. The only trouble is I have to make sure the work I am boring is sitting high enough above the RT so the boring head doesn't hit the RT. I don't know why the companies who make boring heads don't provide some information on using it under various situations.
There's a fair bit of information on the Criterion website Ron. Takes a bit of digging to find it though. Some good information about only using the center screw to lock the slide after making an adjustment. Many don't know that and incorrectly use all 3 throwing the gib adjustment out. So it's better to just use that center one like they reccomend.

3 Moore jig borers??? Yes triple envy now Glenn. :-)
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

GlennW wrote:
This is actually what I suspected.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:
GlennW wrote:
This is actually what I suspected.
Steve,
Ain't you the guy who drools at every thing he sees on Craig's list??

;)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

You must be imagining things!
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

GlennW wrote:
pete wrote:But the cross hole boring bars are pretty much like a right hand lathe boring bar.
Left hand if you use a threaded shank boring head, Pete.
DSC00482.JPG

I like SCLCL bars
That is how I do it. You posted the same picture I would have posted. I use a 1/2" heavy metal boring bar of this style. The heavy metal bar lets me bore hole up to 1800 RPM on 1" holes. Love my heavy metal boring bars.

Richard W.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I saw a video where a standard boring bit was being used in the cross hole of the boring bar. The head had to turn counterclockwise for the bit to cut properly. I knew this could be done, but my mill doesn't have a reverse; will have to investigate if I can change the rotation of my mill.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
spro

Post by spro »

A lot of stuff happened in the '70's-'80's and it comes back. LH boring head arbors and LH stub milling arbors. You can't just change the rotation or stuff will unwind.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

spro wrote:A lot of stuff happened in the '70's-'80's and it comes back. LH boring head arbors and LH stub milling arbors. You can't just change the rotation or stuff will unwind.
I have never seen a left hand boring head or arbors. I have seen a spot of weld to keep the boring head from unscrewing.

Richard W.