Speed-Dex Indexer need help!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

wolkowis

Speed-Dex Indexer need help!

Post by wolkowis »

I have a Speed-Dex Indexer model PI-24. It has always worked fine but now the small lever that releases the indexing wheel can't be turned, so the indexing wheel cannot be turned.
Has anybody had this problem and or have a diagram that shows how the mechanism works? It is not obvious how to dismantel the mechanism.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Jay
Speed-Dex Indexer.jpg
pete

Re: Speed-Dex Indexer need help!

Post by pete »

One of Stefan Gotteswinters videos on Youtube goes into stripping, cleaning, remachining some parts for a clone of that type of indexer that might be of some help. Since I've never even used one that's about all the help I can offer. But I'm sure somebody here will know more.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

pete wrote:One of Stefan Gotteswinters videos on Youtube goes into stripping, cleaning, remachining some parts for a clone of that type of indexer that might be of some help. Since I've never even used one that's about all the help I can offer. But I'm sure somebody here will know more.
Video is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOSPPVOaEhU

Steve
wolkowis

Post by wolkowis »

Thanks guys! The YouTube videos told me everything I needed to know and so I was able to dismantel the indexer and fix the problem!
pete

Post by pete »

Many thanks for adding the link Steve
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

pete wrote:Many thanks for adding the link Steve
I was curious myself. Picked up a Phase II 5C indexer at an auction, and want to go thru it as well.

Stefan Gotteswinter does a great job of taking inexpensive import tooling and getting it up to to respectable accuracy.

Watch his video series on re-working a rotary table.

Steve
pete

Post by pete »

Yep I've been subscribed to Stefans channel for over a year. I'd rate his videos in the top 5 of the roughly 60 channels I'm subscribed to. In no order but Clickspring, Oxtool, This Old Tony, ROBRENZ, Joe Piexzynski would all be the be the best I know of. Shadon HKW for great surface grinding information would be another. I've got the exact same R/T Stefan reworked. Only difference is mines an earlier version with the needle roller bearings. After watching Stefans video about reworking his I think I may do what he did and convert it to sleeve bearings.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

pete wrote:I'd rate his videos in the top 5 of the roughly 60 channels I'm subscribed to. In no order but Clickspring, Oxtool, This Old Tony, ROBRENZ, Joe Piexzynski would all be the be the best I know of. Shadon HKW for great surface grinding information would be another.
I would add Adam Booth (Abom79). He does a lot of real-world jobs, lots of repairs and replacement parts for customers. I also like Brad Jacobs (BasementShopGuy), Greg Halligan (Halligan142) and Keith Fenner (KEF791).

Steve
pete

Post by pete »

I sure hope Wolkowis doesn't mind a bit more mention about different YT videos.

Yep, I'd agree Steve. Abom does use a lot larger equipment and machines a lot of parts far larger than anything I'll ever have or do. But there's still lots to learn there. For a machinist he's a hell of a welder as well. Some rave about Mr. Pete222 / Tubal Cain.I started out watching his 4 part series about his machinist tool boxes. Watching him toss precision tools around like that turned me right off anything more he's got to show. I've yet to see any real machinist I personaly know or any I respect on YT handle there own personal tools anything like that. I've got far to much invested in mine to treat them with that little respect. One of my sine bars was given to me so was free. But it's still the most important and treasured piece in the box simply out of respect for the exceptional craftsman who built it. While I never met the man I still think of him every time I pick it up. I was taught at a real early age to respect and look after any tool I was using and if I didn't I heard all about it. :-)
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

pete wrote:I've yet to see any real machinist I personaly know or any I respect on YT handle there own personal tools anything like that.
Heh!
In my many years in the trade, I had one experience that really stood out. I had left Sperry Utah, and was working at the second job I held after leaving. The work in this shop was on the crude side, with no QC, and specs pretty much non-existent. Anyway, there was a fellow slightly older than I was, who ran a large lathe (maybe a 24"). I stopped by to chat with him one day while he stood at his toolbox. In an open drawer I spotted a couple micrometers, several large files and a ball pein hammer.

My mic's reside in a drawer reserved for micrometers, each within a cutout in ½" felt. They never touch one another, and are placed on a piece of carpet on my work bench when in use.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
pete

Post by pete »

I bought one of Mitutoyo's micrometer vises, if the mikes not being used right away it's held in the vise on the bench and out of all the normal slow build up of tool clutter until it goes back in it's storage box Harold. One dropped 12" set of Mit calipers cost me enough in repairs and re-calibration to teach me real well. Rough treatment of good metrology equipment ends up in getting you rough measurements sooner or later.