ER32 collet holder for Taig lathe?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jerminator96

ER32 collet holder for Taig lathe?

Post by Jerminator96 »

Hello all,

I suppose I'm a long time lurker, almost 5 years, but I'm finally getting serious about machining (well, not too serious, I made a fidget spinner the other day).

Anyway, I have a little Taig micro lathe that I can mess around on, and though I have the Taig collet system, I was wondering if anyone had tried to add a ER32 collet adapter?

Any thoughts on this, or reasons not to? I like the idea of easily mounting up to 3/4" stock since I mess around in that size range fairly often. ER40 would be nice, but that is pushing the swing limit of my little lathe.

I found these little 80mm collet chucks that can be mounted to a face plate for $35-$70 on eBay. This one is at the upper end of the price range but he was brave enough to list a concentricity number:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112352365393

Thoughts, suggestions, warnings?

Thanks,

Jeremy in Guatemala
jcfx

Re: ER32 collet holder for Taig lathe?

Post by jcfx »

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't add a ER collet chuck, but I'm unfamiliar with how chucks are mounted on
Taigs, the ER 32 collet chuck you linked would require a back plate to mount on a lathe, mounting it on a face
plate would possibly negate any concentricity they claim.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Taig lathes and I think the mill have a 3/4" X 16 TPI nose thread. This is almost the same as the one Sherline uses. I believe there is enough center height for a back plate and the smaller of the two diameter ER-32 adapter.
Best, Cary Stewart
Jerminator96

Post by Jerminator96 »

jcfx wrote:I don't see any reason why you shouldn't add a ER collet chuck, but I'm unfamiliar with how chucks are mounted on
Taigs, the ER 32 collet chuck you linked would require a back plate to mount on a lathe, mounting it on a face
plate would possibly negate any concentricity they claim.
Cary Stewart wrote:Taig lathes and I think the mill have a 3/4" X 16 TPI nose thread. This is almost the same as the one Sherline uses. I believe there is enough center height for a back plate and the smaller of the two diameter ER-32 adapter.
Best, Cary Stewart

Yeah, I have a 3.25" backing plate, where the collet chuck is 80mm, or 3.15". Concentricity would be on me at that point, but I have a drawer full of indicators for the task. I was thinking of using the T-slot in the backing plate to mount two of the holes, then after centering, drilling and tapping the plate for the other two mounting holes.

I was thinking for centering I can turn a 3/8 rod down to a light interference fit for the spindle bore on one end and fix the other end into a 3/8 ER32 collet. After mounting the backing plate to the spindle I should be able to keep the collet centered to the spindle bore, then tighten down the t slots and test run out.
martik777

Post by martik777 »

Can be done with a straight er32 chuck and boring out your headstock: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/taig-mil ... 4-cnc.html