Gem DTI

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Gem DTI

Post by Mr Ron »

I have an old Gem DTI that gives erratic readings. What, if anything can I do to restore it's functionability; lube?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
John Hasler

Re: Gem DTI

Post by John Hasler »

I have a Gem 222 that I restored and use regularly. The most common problem is gum in the bearing near the tip. Clean it with solvent (I often use starting fluid for this sort of thing because it won't damage the paint on the dial) and lube *sparingly* with light oil. If that doesn't do it try flushing out the works (with a solvent that won't attack the paint). Don't lubricate. If that isn't it the needle may be dragging. That can sometimes be fixed by popping the bezel off and very carefully bending the needle. Don't try to remove the needle without a needle-puller (sort of like a gear puller for jewelers).
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Thank you. It seems to work fine in one direction, but not in the other; will try what you suggest.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I assume you know about the little switch on the side that changes the direction.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

You assume correctly. When in one position, the readings are erratic. In the other position, it reads as it should.