Today's tool find? What is this mystery Starret thing?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bentworker

Today's tool find? What is this mystery Starret thing?

Post by Bentworker »

Today's random find.

Ever seen rules this short?

How do you use number 2? Helios made in Germany.
What is number 3? It is marked Starret.

IMG_3583.JPG
IMG_3584.JPG
IMG_3585.JPG
Shop toys...
10X54" Vectrax GS20F mill with DRO & frequency drive (saved from the scrap pile).
Jet 13x40 lathe.
Powermatic 1150 drill press.
I love Craigslist!
BadDog

Re: Today's tool find? What is this mystery Starret thing?

Post by BadDog »

Yes, the small rules are not too uncommon, but certainly less so than the 6". Very handy with obstructions and tight spaces.

I can't see it very well, but I think 1 might be a bore rule. You read the diameter by how far it goes through the hole. If that's what it is, then it takes a whole set and clear through bores to have much utility. But that may not even be what it is.
Edit: Blowing it up and looking closer, I think I'm wrong based on the graduations. But very odd that the final increment denotes "4 mm". Other than that, I got nothing...

Number 2 is an angle gage. Similar to a "fish" gage used for threading tools, but for various angles using the multiple gage surfaces. Again, takes a set to have much general purpose value.
Edit: Again, after blowing it up, it does appear to be a thread gage rather than an angle gage as I first thought. ACME? Not sure.

Number 3 looks like an adapter that comes with DTI kits for mounting DTIs in a lathe tool block/post, or vise, or whatever.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

OK # 1 is a Starrett #270 taper gage precision taper from .010 to.150 back side is in MM.
2 is a ACME 29* thread gage notches on side are for grinding tool for various pitches.Starrett # would be a #284
3 is as Baddog said part of a DTI or dial indicator set.
www.chaski.com
spro

Post by spro »

Gee. You guyz is quick.
Bentworker

Post by Bentworker »

Excellent.

Well, now I know what this stuff is!
Shop toys...
10X54" Vectrax GS20F mill with DRO & frequency drive (saved from the scrap pile).
Jet 13x40 lathe.
I love Craigslist!
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I could have used one of those rules yesterday.
pete

Post by pete »

I've got a brand new set of the Starrett taper hole gauges. They work extremely well if your tollerences are + - a couple of thou. #2 is an ACME thread gauge. Unfortunately I think 10 tpi is the highest thread pitch they go. At least mine only goes to that. #3 looks to be part of an indicator holding assembly but I'm possibly wrong about that.
Bentworker

Post by Bentworker »

The Starrett 270 is really cool. The 8 year old was using it to measure the distance between fork tines.
Shop toys...
Jet 13x40 lathe.
I love Craigslist!
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Encourage the 8 year old, We all started somewhere, and, a fork is probably My favorite tool.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Bentworker wrote:The Starrett 270 is really cool. The 8 year old was using it to measure the distance between fork tines.
Good for measuring guitar string height.

The short rulers are used with a handle so that you can reach the ruler into tight spaces you can see into, but you can't get your fingers into.

Steve
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BadDog wrote:Number 2 is an angle gage. Similar to a "fish" gage used for threading tools, but for various angles using the multiple gage surfaces. Again, takes a set to have much general purpose value.
It's a gauge used for grinding (and orienting) Acme threading tools. While the angle is a constant, the width is not, so the gauge provides a slot of proper width for common pitches. A set is not required, as the tool is complete as is.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

SteveM is correct about the short scales. Starrett has #423 in their catalog.
http://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/S423Z
Wish I had one.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.