Shaper Makes Chips

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Downwindtracker2

Shaper Makes Chips

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

Earth shattering ain't it. It was for me. chuckle. My friend was selling some tools from an estate. One of the tools was a patternmakers toolchest. He had some very fine tools, E.A.Berg and Wm. Marples&Sons chisels. I'm a retired millwright with a woodworking hobby.

After agreeing on a price, he asked "What is this?"

"Oh, that's a baby shaper."

"A What? "

"It peels metal."

"For $50 more, you can have it. "

"Yeah, I guess so." I'm just busting out all over at the thought of another project.

The shaper is a 6" (7" stroke) shop built. They made it out of welded steel . It has three pulley speeds and a clutch. Pretty standard small shaper arrangement except it's left handed, the clutch lever and cross feed handle are on the left side. Easier to build. At one time there were more sawmills around Vancouver than any other place in the world. Most of the old sawmills had their own machine shops . I figure from the construction style of the base, angle iron and square headed bolts, it was made in sawmill. The quality of the machining suggests that as well.For dating it, they used 1 5/8x 3 5/8" 2x4s. They changed over to 1 1/2' x3 1/2 in the late sixtes. The motor is 1/3 hp Tamper , fifties?.

They used an expanding shoes in a drum for the clutch The stroke is adjusted by bolt holes on the yoke, as was the feed.

When I started working on the shaper, I worked from the jack/clutch shaft out . I made it and the motor easily adjustable. Then by adding and subtracting shims to the square ways on the ram I tightened it up. They had used a ratcheting box end for the feed . I switched over to a fine tooth 1/2" drive ratchet and welded a slotted bar on it. I'm getting .0014 per click.

It not finished. I' ve got a revision to do on the skate. It didn't come with one but had provision for one. Nor did it have dials. I got a couple from Grizzly, a 50 and a 100, so I can use 7/16"x 20 high grade redi-rod and 1/2"x 10 acme for feed rods. The Chinese vise needs more work. I need to make couple of toolholders, one certainly for internal keyseats. I have a job for it when I'm finished. Isn't that always the way??

I'm an old phart. When it comes to my skill set, computers aren't in it ! So no pictures, though the jack shaft adjustment is worthy.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
tornitore45

Re: Shaper Makes Chips

Post by tornitore45 »

Pictures?
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
spro

Re: Shaper Makes Chips

Post by spro »

This sounds like a neat rebuild of a project shaper. The improvements I read are already fine and make sense. You might take a few photos along the way. Someday it will all click and you can post photos in the Build Project section. It will be a great read / look for many. The heritage aspect of this shaper isn't lost on me either. I would save the early screws and things, just in case it becomes a display at some future time and folks want to know why it was improved.