Whetstones

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Whetstones

Post by ctwo »

After watching the German machinist, Stefan Gotteswinter, try to recondition his edge finder with a Ruby whetstone, I had to have a ruby stone. Then I realized my collection of stones is pretty dismal, so an ebay shopping spree...

I bought several ruby stones in various shapes. I think these are synthetic, and so far the few I've received have all been very nicely produced with sharp edges and corners.

One was a combination ruby and white stone (3k/10k), but the white stone has a few cracks; another couple are jade (10k). Finally I ordered a set of shapes in #180 and a couple triangles in #800 and one ruby.

Do these stones always require oil or can they be used with water? Is there a way to tell? Is 10k going to be practical for a machinist? Those are like glass smooth, but did seem to put an edge on an exact-o blade.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
SteveM

Re: Whetstones

Post by SteveM »

I saw that too. I think I need to pick some up.

I have several Arkansas stones. Old ones that are actual chunks of stone and not the ones that are made of crushed stone and a binder.

Not sure what the grit rating is, but they feel as smooth as glass and can put a razor's edge on something.

A barber once told me of a fellow that used to sharpen his razor blades by wiping them on the inside of a glass.

Steve
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I saw a Youtube guy hone a knife by rolling his car window down partially and using the top edge of the window.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Watching Stefan's videos can give you a bad case of G.A.S. ( gotta acquire syndrome ) !

Ctwo, who were the seller(s) you bought from on eBay ?
I have two nice finger size honing stones that were Korean War surplus,
they're getting long in tooth and I've already broken one, I could use more of different grits.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I've got an entire drawer full of different stones, but none of ruby, sapphire, or jade. My favorites for small touchups are a little aluminum bars (maybe 1/4" x 3/8") with pads of different grit at each end maybe 1/8" thick with diamond media much like you find on carbide grinder wheels. For small stuff like honing a lathe tool, stoning a tiny radius, or even honing carbide tooling, these are fantastic and FAR better than the electroplated laps or standard stones. But now you've got me wondering if I just must have some more fancy stones! :o

As for window edges, I find that a good old fashioned "steel" works wonderfully, as do ceramic and a super fine diamond impregnated steel that I received as a gift.

Took me a bit, but this appears to be the link to the video.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

I have a beautiful, surgical black Arkansas slipstone. I use it after a small, hard white Arkansas when sharpening my woodworking gouges. Creates a beautiful edge.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I found these stones by searching ebay, buy it now, and sorting price low to high. All just a couple to under $10. I learned the white stone is Agate, and I think these all need oil for lubrication.

These are small, but came very nice:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grit-3000-Recta ... 1699119378
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruby-Sharpening ... 2709463237
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10000-Grit-Poli ... 1300261139

I'm still waiting for this jade stone:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10000-Grit-Gree ... 2480063650

This one had the best potential, but arrived cracked and chipped from shipping. I'm still working with the seller to see if they will send another.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sides-Grit-Knif ... 2655384170

And then I have a variety of others are still on order. I also ordered a couple diamond plates.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I would not recommend the ruby triangle whetstone. It is bowed and warped, about 20 thou over it's length.

The 180 grit stones in various shapes seem ok for what they are... slimmer than I'd have hoped for though. Can't find a reason to complain.

still waiting for a few more...
Attachments
stones-20170919_184329.jpg