Model Machinist Book?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pete

Re: Model Machinist Book?

Post by pete »

The 2 Moore books I have were certainly eye opening for what they were able to accomplish long before cnc was even thought of. And to some amazing accuracy limits. Both books are still quite expensive so for anyone who hasn't read them the local library could save you a couple of hundred $ Funny enough I'm just rereading Moores Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy right now.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

There are three Moore books:
Precision Hole Location by J. Robert Moore
Holes, Contours and Surfaces" by Richard F. Moore & Frederick C. Victory
Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy Wayne R. Moore

I was going to ask Wayne Moore to autograph mine (he lived about 5 miles from me) but he passed away a few years ago.

Steve
pete

Post by pete »

I've got the last 2 Moore books on your list Steve but hadn't known about Wayne Moores passing. A real shame as I've learned a great deal through the books of there's I have.

Possibly a bit OT to the intent of this thread, but it's still about manual machining and accuracy. I think it was in the 1930''s? P&W ran a test round robin style with 9 different companys who owned there jig borers that were scattered around the U.S. They sent 9 plates out one to each company and wanted a center hole, and if memory is correct 9 holes around it at around a 4.5"-5" radius. Each company were apparently not told it was a test until it was completed. I forget the exact number specifications for size and location accuracy, but at the end only one plate failed to accept one single gage pin that were all ground 2/10ths undersize for the holes with all the plates stacked up. And that one hole only failed by a couple of 10ths. There were some copies of the original P&W advertisement about that test on a few PM threads but they were stored on Photobucket so likely all gone now. And I'd think the Moore jig borers might even be a bit better than what Pratt & Whitney built. The Swiss company SIP also built some amazingly accurate jig borers and grinders as well. There's an older video on Bruce Whithams Youtube channel showing a real large SIP jig borer that's kept in the back yard in what's pretty much a tent an Australian HSM type has.
EricM

Post by EricM »

Here's the ad that Pete refers to:
8PiecesofIron.jpg
pete

Post by pete »

Many thanks Eric, that shows my memory was a bit off on the details.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

This is the industry standard for dimensioning and tolerancing, used by the DOD and industry. It may be a bit overwhelming, but it has everything you ever wanted to know. I used this document when I was designing submarines at Electric Boat. http://www.dgpengshun.com/uploadfile/20 ... 816482.pdf
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
pete

Post by pete »

Up to now I've only read what Machinery's Handbook has about the subject Ron, that's quite the pdf file in your link and that's only with a quick scroll through. A whole lot to remember for a designer for sure.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

No one is expected to remember it all, just the relevant parts one uses for designs every day. On the other hand, one had better be able to defend its accurate use.
I am sure glad the shop foreman (in the garage) doesn't bother with this document. :wink:
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

earlgo wrote:No one is expected to remember it all, just the relevant parts one uses for designs every day. On the other hand, one had better be able to defend its accurate use.
Dad said: "You don't need to know everything, you just need to know where to look it up".

Steve