Machine Tools Should be Floppy

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: Machine Tools Should be Floppy

Post by spro »

Perhaps it happens to others. I have banks of information in my brain because they were necessary. AM and FM frequency charts and carrier frequencies which serve nothing now. Replacing some components on a circuit board, to which was one element of a bank of equipment, to which was replaced by one micro chip. Over and over something different. Changed with the times and still wanted to go home and make something in my shop.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
SteveHGraham wrote:What on earth is "Euler math"? I know the Euler equation, but "Euler math" is a new one on me. It doesn't show up on Google.
It sounds as though you are conversing with a blithering idiot. Why don't you just ignore the clown?

Incidentally, it's the "Euler formula." :D
Hello, it's an equation. When you've written and used it 30,000 times you don't look it up to see what people call it. And if we're going to pick nits, there is a different equation known as THE Euler equation, and then there are certain differential equations known as Euler equations. I can't handle bickering in two comment threads at once.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Just for fun...

Euler <what?>

:wink:
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I always get it confused with de Moivre's FORMULA because they say pretty much the same thing. When you're doing physics, you don't write, "Now I'm going to use Euler's formula" in the middle of your EQUATIONS. You just use it, and you expect whoever reads your work to be so familiar with it he doesn't think about it either.

Unless my Youtube buddy is right and I made all that physics stuff up.
spro

Post by spro »

That looks very interesting and if you got your head around it, I shouldn't have posted stuff in my head.
I'm not going to nit pick you about that.
Strange thread and the person did set you off by reaming it.
Enough for me.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I was taught "Euler's Equation"

Steve, you've deprived us, well me anyway, of context for all of this...

This wouldn't have anything to do with The Clausing Days, would it?
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I should bring up the Clausing! I wonder how I could work that into the thread. Maybe I could ask him where the "stress compensators" on a Clausing 5936 are, and which branch of Euler math I need to calculate their adjustments.

It looks like he finally ran out of steam, or maybe his kids unplugged the computer. It took almost nothing to set him off and refuel the thread. I would say something like, "Great comment! Keep up the good work!", and I would get a fresh diatribe.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Maybe you should ask him what the best method is for starting fires...
Have him demonstrate it. YouTube video...
~RN
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Does He use chain bar oil for His lathe ways?
Or does He take a heavy down feed with small increment crossfeed while surface grinding?
Or does He set His compound to 29° or feed straight in when threading?
We are good at windups here.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

It's common knowledge that I am not an engineer, nor am I a machine tool designer, but the very idea that a machine tool is intentionally made "floppy" is absurd, as is the notion that an extremely rigid machine is subject to breakage. Machine tools are built with cost in mind--as well as the ability to transport and install the machine. Those are the factors that determine how robust a machine will be.

Rigidity in machine tools is ultra critical. A good example of that is in precision grinders, whereby relatively small capacity machines have exceptional weight, all with the idea that when they're in use, they do NOT deflect, which would render a precision machine tool far less than precise. A good example is the very small universal grinder I own. It has a 10" swing, and is only about 12" between centers, but it weighs 4,000 pounds.

A Monarch EE is a 12" lathe, 20" center capacity, and tips the scales @ about 3,500 pounds. My Graziano is also a 12" machine, 32" center capacity, and weighs about 2,200 pounds. Do the math. The EE is reputed to be one of the most precise of all lathes.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
larry_g

Post by larry_g »

Harold_V wrote:, but the very idea that a machine tool is intentionally made "floppy" is absurd, as is the notion that an extremely rigid machine is subject to breakage.

H
While I totally agree with your post the image that popped into my mind is the gooseneck tool holder. Just something invented to get around all this rigidity? :?

lg
no neat sig line
I am unique, just like everyone else.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

larry_g wrote:
Harold_V wrote:, but the very idea that a machine tool is intentionally made "floppy" is absurd, as is the notion that an extremely rigid machine is subject to breakage.

H
While I totally agree with your post the image that popped into my mind is the gooseneck tool holder. Just something invented to get around all this rigidity? :?
Hmmm. Gooseneck tool holder.
I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage, as that's not a holder I've ever experienced (I worked, briefly, in one shop where rocker tool posts were in use, so my experience with holders is extremely limited, I'm happy to say). I do have one thought, though--that being it may have been intended to allow the tool to move away from the cut instead of hogging in. Dunno!
Do you have a picture?

Mean time, it's rare to find the type of rigidity of which I spoke. Most machines, even heavy industrial machines, have some degree of flex, so it's all relative to the work being done on any given machine.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.