Chinese DRO for Mill

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

JimD

Chinese DRO for Mill

Post by JimD »

I have a low cost Chinese DRO (Jing Model JCS900-2AE) which I installed on my mill. It works great with one exception - the lost power reference position (RI) :? recovery feature doesn't work. Wondered if anyone else had experienced this and been able to solve it. The JCS900 is very similar to the mTECH-2di sold by thedrostore.com. There was no procedure for putting in a machine reference during setup, which some DRO's require. Instead it seems to rely on a hardware reference on the optical scale, which I don't know if my scales have.
WesHowe

Re: Chinese DRO for Mill

Post by WesHowe »

The scale has some internal absolute marking at the midpoint. The instructions for my Chinese DRO say you must cross that point after you invoke the function, at which point the DRO adjusts the reading to the offset from (the hidden) absolute that was saved during the last power down.

Almost everything I make is a one-off part of some sort. For me, recovering yesterday's reference point is pretty near useless, because I am working on something different today and will be doing a new setup anyway.

EDIT: And welcome to you. Most members here put a city, state in their profile so if someone says "here" in a post, the rest of us have some idea where here is.
JimD

Post by JimD »

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it moving slowly in both directions with no response. Also tried at the end of the scale thinking perhaps the machine reference was located there - no luck.
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

What I've started to do if I'm worried about my location is to move the machine back to the original zero point X and Y then if you lose power you know what your location is.
JimD

Post by JimD »

That's what I've been doing. The problem has been when I accidentally bump one of the axis hand wheels while the power is off. I have a small constricted shop.Sure would like to get the power off reference working since the instructions claim it has one.