If you need a good laugh...

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Lew Hartswick

Re: If you need a good laugh...

Post by Lew Hartswick »

Anyone who doesn't tell you where they are, isn't serious about wanting help.
...lew...
ccfl

Post by ccfl »

Lew Hartswick wrote:Anyone who doesn't tell you where they are, isn't serious about wanting help.
...lew...
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 90#p380223
ccfl wrote:curtis: East Mississippi, roughly 100 miles any direction from nominal civilization. Draw a rough circle around Jackson, Memphis, Birmingham, & Mobile, I'm right in the middle of it. Nowhere.
Points for trying to be cute, though. Or would you like my street address? LAT/LON?
"Never trust a man who puts a witty quote in his sig line." -Mark Twain
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ccfl wrote:
Lew Hartswick wrote:Anyone who doesn't tell you where they are, isn't serious about wanting help.
...lew...
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 90#p380223
ccfl wrote:curtis: East Mississippi, roughly 100 miles any direction from nominal civilization. Draw a rough circle around Jackson, Memphis, Birmingham, & Mobile, I'm right in the middle of it. Nowhere.
Points for trying to be cute, though. Or would you like my street address? LAT/LON?
You may have missed the point. No one is interested in searching for your location each time you post. If you hope to get help from the readers on this board, it's a real good idea to post your approximate location in your profile, as most of us do. That way (speaking for myself, not the board at large) readers feel you're part of the group, that you have nothing to hide, that you are not one of the people we often encounter in life who take from any and all givers, giving nothing in return.

No----it is not mandatory that you provide that information. It's up to you, but should be driven by the results you hope to achieve when you post. Personally, I'm far less inclined to attempt to help anyone who wishes to remain anonymous, but that's me. I do not speak for the readers.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ccfl

Post by ccfl »

I did not miss the point. This post was not meant to ask for advice, or in-person help, or help finding in-person help. It was a funny picture of what happens when ambition outpaces your tools' capabilities. I know the correct way to do this job: hand it over to someone with real machinery.

I have never posted any personal info publicly. There are upsides and downsides to putting yourself out there as a 'real person' - but there's no take-backs once it's out there. There's no need to be condescending if someone chooses to handle that in a different way than you have. And assuming that a desire for privacy = someone who only wants to leech free info and give nothing back in return? Yeah, I'm in the wrong place. Sorry to have disrupted things.
"Never trust a man who puts a witty quote in his sig line." -Mark Twain
hanermo

Post by hanermo »

I don´t see a problem.
A learning opportunity- yes.

A thin cutting wheel + 4.5" or 9" grinder will easily chop it.
Use shielding for eyes etc. !!!
Rotate often.

A temp steady rest is easy to make.
Use flat cold-rolled steel pieces, bolted together.
Just drill/tap, and allow final fits to be by bolts/threads rather than trying to engineer it right.

A clever guy might mark out / center drill a few pieces via suitable spacings, to use the bits later for something else- or similar.
Say every x distance, maybe 10-15 mm.
spro

Post by spro »

I am surprised at the turn of this topic. Thank you, hanermo ,for pulling it back on the track. Thank ccfl for even starting the topic!
ccfl, I was impressed at your triangulation of perhaps "Nowhereville". What the xxxx should that mean to anyone? Isn't that the very reason for seeking kindred souls on the net? This location thing was a distraction from the business at hand. I and others read your posts clearly and would miss you.
spro

Post by spro »

Bandsaw. HF sells an updated version of the deep throat portable bandsaw. This could be a good tool all-around. It has an extra ball bearing blade support. With coupon, they are under 100.00 . The reviews are very positive. My old Milwaukee is single speed. I found that the previous cutting groove could be followed with the lathe turning reverse.
The HF# 63444 /63763 Bauer is advertised now at 99.99 with the coupon. One of them has the upgrade.