Use for Big 12V Motor?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Use for Big 12V Motor?

Post by SteveHGraham »

I just sold my dad's boat. We have an old 12V Lindgren-Pitman electric reel I need to do something with. The guy who installed it said, "It will bring up any fish in the sea...or its lips." The purpose of it is to rape reefs. You put multiple hooks on a rig and drop it down to the queen snapper or whatever, and it brings up a whole herd.

I may be able to get a grand for this thing, but before I sell it, is there any good use for a big 12V motor than runs slow? I mean, a reason that justifies giving up a thousand dollars?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
wlw-19958

Re: Use for Big 12V Motor?

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

Electric winch?

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I guess I should just sell it.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Go Kart. Go Kart. Go Kart. Big gear on motor. Tiny gear on axle. Fast. Torque. Zoom.
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
I'm thankful that metal is recyclable....
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

SteveR wrote:Go Kart. Go Kart. Go Kart. Big gear on motor. Tiny gear on axle.
Zoom, zoom!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
spro

Post by spro »

I never got that. Steve's motor would probably pull the whole boat out of the water and up a tree. I don't see all the torque achieved, reduced again to the stress on one pinion. We are just kidding.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I'm no tree-hugger, but owning one of these reels may not be something to be proud of. Miami Cubans have been using them for years, to fill huge coolers with bottom fish they don't need. The Bahamian government complains about it. Their reefs are the main targets.

It's a cultural thing. Miami Cubans have zero respect for any type of fish or game law. They've even been caught butchering manatees. I should have said something when my dad let Mr. Jimenez install this stupid machine.
rudd

Post by rudd »

You might ask the question over in the live steam forum. It might make a dandy motor for a battery powered or generator powered diesel model.

Edit - I now see that's been split. Make that the Riding Scale RR forum.
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

SteveHGraham wrote:I'm no tree-hugger, but owning one of these reels may not be something to be proud of.
I remember those reels being used in the 80's to haul up "Mammoth Grouper" (the politically correct name for a Jewfish). They were out of my price class even then.

That was right after Fidel snookered Jimmy Carter and sent all his criminally insane problem subjects to Miami from the port of Mariel. I was looking for a boat at the time, and saw several 20-some foot ones that had been used during the boat lift. I don't think I would have ventured that far in a single engine open boat.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The Marielitos were really something. Anything you left on your patio or in a storage closet without a concrete door was fair game.

I think Carter was humiliated more than any US president. I still can't believe we had to hear about his debilitating hemorrhoids. Then there was the time he was photographed beating a rabbit with a canoe oar. Then there was the time he tried to go jogging and passed out. Fidel made him his girlfriend. Then there were the nervous breakdown rumors. It was not inspiring.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

You're thinking of "Goliath grouper." The PC crowd decided to stop honoring the Jews and named the fish after one of their worst enemies.
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

You are right. I came back to edit my post, but yes, Goliath Grouper is the "new" name for them. I never gave any thought to the biblical implications of that name change. LOL.

Poor David...