Free spinning feed knobs

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Nelson

Re: Free spinning feed knobs

Post by Nelson »

Really nice project.

Nelson
Nels
Founder, Hobby-Machinist.com
SB 10L Lathe in pieces, Burke #4, Van Norman #12
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

The handle on the table traverse on the Delta Toolmaker is of the free floating type. After many years of use and lots of miscellaneous swarf floating around, the aluminum handle bore has become worn oversize and is very sloppy. Because of the amount of use it gets, it probably needs to be a floater, but because of the swarf it needs to be shielded much better.
Guess I'll leave it to the next owner to decide what to do.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

My SAJO horizontal mill was missing several of the feed handles, so made some new ones from aluminum bar. Being the table take a fair amount of effort to hand crank I used some small ball bearings to prevent the wear out issue and that makes cranking even easier.
www.chaski.com
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

earlgo wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:24 am The handle on the table traverse on the Delta Toolmaker is of the free floating type. After many years of use and lots of miscellaneous swarf floating around, the aluminum handle bore has become worn oversize and is very sloppy.
Yep! That's precisely what happened to the handles on my Graziano. A lathe running coolant, or, as in your case, a cutter grinder, floating handles are subject to serious wear due to their less than good environment.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.