Newly made machinist jacks

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Newly made machinist jacks

Post by whateg0 »

I've been needing these for awhile. I bought the Starrett screws off of Ebay for a reasonable price, but they've been sitting in the drawer since then. I finally had a chance to sit down and draw them up. The plain one was done first, then I thought, why not make them a little nicer? So, I changed it up and added a knurled ring. The bottoms are recessed to sit on spacers. The one with chatter was made with a form tool. The other was made with the radius cutter I made a few months ago, though this is the first time it's cut concave shapes. Aside from the finish in the HRS, I'm pleased with the way they turned out.

Dave
finished jacks.jpg
neanderman

Re: Newly made machinist jacks

Post by neanderman »

Very nicely done!

I've looked at such items often, wondering, "Where does one use these?"
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

neanderman wrote:... "Where does one use these?"
Anywhere one wants to! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Actually, the times I've most needed them are on the mill when machining a part that awkwardly fits in the vise and needs support on the end. I've made due with 1-2-3 blocks, shims, and adjustable parallels, but these would have been so much nicer.

I am going to make another, less fancy, to use in the bandsaw vise for short work. Right now, I have several bolts of various lengths and a nut that gives me about 1/4" of adjustment.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Thanks, that makes sense.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"