Compressor woes

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Hasler

Re: Compressor woes

Post by John Hasler »

John Hasler wrote:I need to do this.

Improvement: wire an aux contact on the pressure switch (add a relay if needed) to reset the timer when the compressor is actually running. That way it will never shut off while you using enough air that the compressor is never idle for 20 minutes.
Needs another relay, of course.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I see it as the same problem...no matter how many relays you add...

if you have an air leak and the compressor is running, your relay will THINK you still need air -> the compressor will never shut off -> and you are back to square one..
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I just meant to clarify that a relay is needed to implement my suggestion. To avoid the leak problem requires yet another timer function or perhaps a flow switch.

This is rapidly reaching the point where the simplest solution would be a microcontroller and some solid-state relays. Not worth it.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Then you get into 'is it a leak or the shot blast booth running with is essentially a FULL OPEN LINE anyway"?

I have the ultimate micro-controller...my brain and a push button.

sometimes the simplest solution is the easiest...and with my brain involved...SIMPLE is the key word. giggle
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

> Then you get into 'is it a leak or the shot blast booth running with is essentially a FULL OPEN LINE anyway"?

A flow switch feature would shut the system down only after perhaps an hour of continuous flow. It would reset on very brief cessations of flow.

While we're at it we might as well add a solinoid valve to cycle the drain valve every X hours of compressor operation. Might be worth it in a big shop.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

you have now spent more $$$ on a control system than I did on the air compressor.....
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Bill Shields wrote:you have now spent more $$$ on a control system than I did on the air compressor.....

I think I'd have to buy the flow switch and the solenoid valve. Everything else I have (in the form of junk, mostly). Of course, it *would* cost me about a hundred hours of my time...
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

with the motor starter and the timer, I am at the cost of the compressor and the 100 hours of time needs to go into the steamer (giggle)....