Compressor woes

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

tornitore45

Compressor woes

Post by tornitore45 »

We went in vacation for 5 months in Buffalo, if you can call Buffalo vacation.
Long story short, I forgot to unplug the compressor. How stupid can you be?
Come home, find the compressor unplug, with a cracked hose, an open relieve valve, a leaky output pressure reducer and low oil.

Son in law said he unplugged because it was running constantly. He checked the house every couple of weeks so the compressor could have run for days.

Being an optimist I refilled the oil, replaced the relieve valve and removed the leaky pressure reducer.

Started and could not get over 40 psi. When shut down the leak down is modest indicating the output read valve is doing some work.

Observations:
Without the intake filter I can feel some blow back at the inlet. Is this normal delay of the reed valve closing or a sign of failure?

I feel substantial blow out of the oil fill. Is this normal since the piston is displacing air in the crankcase or indicates bad compression (rings)?

It is a harborfreight and has run very well, but is probably cheaper to replace.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
spro

Re: Compressor woes

Post by spro »

I am sad for the loss of your air compressor. You may find another compressor unit that will fit your tank better than the original. On the up side, you probably weren't invaded by thieves, mice and vermin because there is nothing like a running air compressor.
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

I would guess reed valve, and may very well be the output reed. Most modern and larger compressors have a separate check valve at the tank, so the pressure behind the pump can be released when the motor stops (easier starting).

Edit: Is it the top mounted, belt driven, 3HP or 5HP HF compressor pump? They are known for breaking reed valves according too reviews, found that out when I recently brought a new HF pump.
spro

Post by spro »

Please chopr guy, I'm not trying to interfere but I wrote that compressor pump off. The oil was low, the compression was low, there was constant running. I'm all for fixing things but I'd be looking for another "head" (we used to call the pumps a head).
I have a feeling, I will regret posting that. The motor has a thermal overload so maybe it wasn't constant.
Big old Quincy in a garage. I made reed valves out of feeler gages and they worked.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Is the 2.5HP, I think replacing the pump is the best plan if I can find one.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Thank you spro, you just saved me 200 bucks. A new replacement compressor-only is not available, I was already shopping for a new unit and actually was looking at a $350 Porter Cable. I took it apart just for curiosity when I noticed the broken outlet reed valve. It is such a simple rectangular shape that a feeler gauge donated the material and a quick grind drove it home. Fired up to 120 PSI in no time.
I think I am taking the old lady to dinner since the money had already left the wallet, psychologically.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Sounds as though the top ring on the piston failed.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:Sounds as though the top ring on the piston failed.
How so? From what I've read, it was a valve (reed type) that failed. Mauro reports a nicely functioning compressor now.
Did I miss something?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

As a suggestion going forward:

My air compressor is on a 20 minute timer that must be manually reset if I want it to keep running.

This allows my wife to 'push a button' to get air in the garage for tires then drive away...not like I EVER have to worry about her shutting things off (giggle...)....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Bill Shields wrote:As a suggestion going forward:

My air compressor is on a 20 minute timer that must be manually reset if I want it to keep running.

This allows my wife to 'push a button' to get air in the garage for tires then drive away...not like I EVER have to worry about her shutting things off (giggle...)....
Hmm, got me thinking about one of these tied to my shop lights:
https://valvesandinstruments.com/asco-8 ... 6EQAvD_BwE
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

My air compressor is on a 20 minute timer
Is a good idea, I have one of those plug in utility timers usually used to give the impression some is at home.
I taped the photocell and set it for 2 or 4 hrs when recharging the drill batteries.
I would be hesitant to use it on a heavy load like a compressor.

As for the compressor, somebody suggested the motor thermal protection may have reduced the duty cycle.

Is running fine now, very happy camper.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
NP317

Post by NP317 »

My Shop air compressor operates from 240 Vac.
I simply use the main breakers to power it up when I'm working, and shut it off when I leave.
So far, so good, although maybe I should keep some spare breakers in stock...
~RN