New toy er Tool

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

New toy er Tool

Post by John Evans »

Drill sharpeners simple that kinda work and big fancy ones like Black Diamond etc. My tool dealer friend picked up a SRD drill grinder a few weeks ago,could not figgure out how it worked to google to the rescue. Read the manual and
I NEED THIS ! :roll: Older machinist I know said a learning challenged monkey could be taught how to correctly use it in 20 minutes. {sometimes that describes ME :oops:} So this week after I sold a BP mill that had issues and was given to me and I repaired an had cash burning a hole in my pocket! So home it came. Will grind various angles and reliefs also split pointing /web thinning. Max drill size on this model is 13/16ths. A bit of a learning curve but not beyond this monkey! :lol: I have a few hundred bits to look at and freshen up those that need it.
Attachments
drill grinder 001.JPG
drill grinder 002.JPG
drill grinder 003.JPG
drill grinder 004.JPG
drill grinder 005.JPG
www.chaski.com
SteveHGraham

Re: New toy er Tool

Post by SteveHGraham »

I don't understand how you survived so long without it.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

SteveHGraham wrote:I don't understand how you survived so long without it.
Don't know either ,other than it is the first one I have ever seen. Mostly under 1/4 I would just replace unless it was the only one I had ,then I would try my hand at sharping it.
www.chaski.com
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Boy does this thing work slick! Sharpened a 1/16 bit and using my Hamilton sensitive DP just zipped through 1/2 piece of 1018. .061 gauge pin falls through,.062 does not go all the way through. Dang 1/16 point i gota use a magnifying glass to see the stupid point!!
www.chaski.com
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I thought we looked at mine when you were up here? In any case, I have one like it, and absolutely love it. Like you say, wouldn't want to be without it. Not ideal for drills on the smaller end of it's range as it get's more fiddly to setup and has to be dead on to get a good grind, but for all except the smallest, it works fantastic. They make a small drill wheel for it that dramatically improves the geometry and ease of sharpening small bits, but swapping kills the convenience and speed which are among its best attributes. And another model with a taller mount that will accept larger bits, and others.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Just had to remind us that you have a Hamilton drill press, which I sadly lack.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

The drill grinder has that type vise which is really cool with straight/ uniform shank tooling. I just like how it works. There is more than we see from the pics.The grinder head advances and there is a clever way change to create the relief angles, without removing the tool.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Spro: Works with taper shank drills also as it hold them on the flute area.
www.chaski.com
spro

Post by spro »

Okay.
spro

Post by spro »

Those same type fixtures were used with other grinders. They had long sliding rails and worked differently.