Ball and Socket

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Ball and Socket

Post by ctwo »

A friend asked if I could fix his pneumatic door holder open thing. It has a 0.30" ball and the plastic socket part on the end of the 6.3 mm threaded shaft came apart, and the shaft threads are stripped.

I am thinking a fresh die over the threads and a new delrin socket to thread on the end will be sufficient. I think he still has the metal retaining strap that went around the original socket, but otherwise, do we feel a tight press-on socket will be sufficient?

Maybe I could make the socket in two pieces with threaded screws running axially to hold it together. He wanted it in aluminum since it's for his work truck and get a lot of heavy use.
Attachments
socket-1.png
socket-1.png (7.33 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Inspector

Re: Ball and Socket

Post by Inspector »

Any of theses work or do you guys have your heart set on making it?
https://www.qa1.net/rod-ends-and-relate ... t-linkages
http://www.igus.com/wpck/3748/igubal_Ge ... gKZu_D_BwE

Pete
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

+1 on the standard rod ends if you can get thr right thread.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

+2 on the rod ends, it'll take you more time and tools to make one compared to buying.
McMaster has those rod ends too.

Aluminum would wear fast, as Pete said if you have your heart on making it ...
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

ctwo wrote:A friend asked if I could fix his pneumatic door holder open thing. It has a 0.30" ball and the plastic socket part on the end of the 6.3 mm threaded shaft came apart, and the shaft threads are stripped.

I am thinking a fresh die over the threads and a new delrin socket to thread on the end will be sufficient. I think he still has the metal retaining strap that went around the original socket, but otherwise, do we feel a tight press-on socket will be sufficient?

Maybe I could make the socket in two pieces with threaded screws running axially to hold it together. He wanted it in aluminum since it's for his work truck and get a lot of heavy use.
Must be some friend to make you want to go to this much trouble when readily-available parts can be used. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

I have a bunch of these in different sizes new in a drawer here. I believe they were for steering linkage on a riding mower.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I recently replaced all the rollers and locking hardware on 38-year-old door screens, and found all replacement parts on Amazon Prime, for cheap. OEM items, even.
If the manufacture of replacement parts is the fun you seek, excellent. But if not, check on line.
I used my manufacturing time on my locomotives. :lol:
~RN
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Thanks guys. Amazing what you can buy for two bucks!
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...