What are these?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

What are these?

Post by SteveM »

Got these with a bunch of tools. They don't look related to any of the tools I bought.

They have clamps that appear to hold the work piece at fixed angles. They clamp down to something.

Anyone seen these before?

I thought that maybe they were to hold HSS tool bits for grinding.

Steve
Attachments
20170923_183521.jpg
20170923_183554.jpg
20170923_183559.jpg
10KPete

Re: What are these?

Post by 10KPete »

I'll agree with that. It looks just like a grinder 'attachment' for that purpose should look.

Pete
Just tryin'
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

That would be my thought as well. Also looks like it mounts to side lug that would normally hold the work rest on the circumference, though this would mount for side wheel grinding. But with no way to feed, not sure how that would work with the clamps. Unless maybe they are there just to provide a sort of fence for hand feeding under them? But that makes no sense that I can see. Must be more that is missing?

But I'm having trouble visualizing for what purpose. Trying to visualize how the tool might be turned and placed to work the various facets is not working for me. What appears to be roughly the end clearance seems excessive for normal flat presentation, so I wonder if it's for an old lantern tool holder? Or maybe some sort of turret box tool, though the resulting form doesn't appear correct for the ones I have?

So I guess I'm going with lathe tools, but darned if I can sort out the rest...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
spro

Post by spro »

The funny thing is that I have one of those. There should be a # somewhere on the frame. There are older heads of woodwork which create a dowel from a square end. The edges are shaved off to become round, due to revolving the head blade around the axis. That's one thing. Another is the scew blades used with many hand planes. This fixture appears to hold the narrower ones. Scew blades present an acute angle to difficult wood grains as they shear the wood at two angles. There is a tight fence and side throat for evacuation of chips.
These things work magic when they are sharp but how to sharpen the blades at that angle. Fiddlers like me haven't worked too many sweats around that, so stone as required to the original angle. A fixture as this may securely contain the blade while gentle pressure allows grinding the edge flat. From there, the angled side allows the bevel to be ground.
Only a thought. We will crack this.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

I'd love to see one of these in action.
It looks like a tool bit holder, where the bit gets held in the square channel to insure the correct angle.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/atta ... 475611682t
Nels
Founder, Hobby-Machinist.com
SB 10L Lathe in pieces, Burke #4, Van Norman #12