MSC once again

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

MSC once again

Post by earlgo »

Recently I purchased a 2" travel DTI from the MSC catalog (PN LV00449405) and it was reasonably priced at $39, but what got me was the trade name on the face. It reads "mhc Industrial Supply" No mistaking the lower case 'h' for a lower case 's'. The box is a black box with red lettering that said again 'mhc Industrial Supply. Just thought this was interesting and wondered if anyone else has noted this. Incidentally this DTI is 10 1/4" OAL with the spindle encased on the upper travel, unlike some that show the upper part of the spindle as the lower part is engaged. The upper encasement holds a second spring for positive return of the spindle. Looks like a good design although a drop on a concrete floor would be a disaster.
Just a FYI.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Harold_V

Re: MSC once again

Post by Harold_V »

Hmmm. Strange, indeed!
One thing----DTI implies a dial test indicator. Long travel indicators are not generally referenced as such.

Or am I wrong? Wouldn't be the first time! :oops:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Looking at the dial indicator you posted the PN # for it's most likely a typo at the Asian factory that makes MSC's house value brand stuff.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Or it could be from MHC Industrial Supply.

http://www.mhctools.com/proItem.aspx?id=1347
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Ok then, just what is the difference between a DTI and a plunger operated gadget with a dial and graduated in .001 inch increments? What would one call the plunger operated gadget to be specifically clear?
The MSC catalog calls the lever operated thingy a dial test indicator and the plunger operated one a dial indicator. It appears that the only difference is in the increments and readability.
Inquiring minds want to know.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I have bought indicators off ebay that said mhc. I have the impression that is a different company than MSC.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

earlgo wrote:Ok then, just what is the difference between a DTI and a plunger operated gadget with a dial and graduated in .001 inch increments? What would one call the plunger operated gadget to be specifically clear?
The MSC catalog calls the lever operated thingy a dial test indicator and the plunger operated one a dial indicator. It appears that the only difference is in the increments and readability.
Inquiring minds want to know.
--earlgo
A "Dial indicator" is a direct reading/measuring tool like a mic or caliper. A "DTI" is a comparative reading tool as the lever/finger moves in a arc not a straight line ,so does not give a true measurement of distance.
www.chaski.com
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

GlennW wrote:Or it could be from MHC Industrial Supply.

http://www.mhctools.com/proItem.aspx?id=1347
Now I know :)