driving a shaft with threads?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

AllenH59

driving a shaft with threads?

Post by AllenH59 »

I want to drive something with a diesel engine that will make about 100 ft lbs of torque. Is there any reason not to drive on threads that will take about 300 ft lbs? nothing will ever reverse to loosen the threads and I will put a taper to keep things centered. Thanks
Steggy

Re: driving a shaft with threads?

Post by Steggy »

AllenH59 wrote:I want to drive something with a diesel engine that will make about 100 ft lbs of torque. Is there any reason not to drive on threads that will take about 300 ft lbs? nothing will ever reverse to loosen the threads and I will put a taper to keep things centered. Thanks
That's not something I would do. The engine's torque rating is an average. All internal combustion engines produce torsional vibration, more so with Diesel than gas, which causes the instantaneous torque to rise and fall as each cylinder fires. Coincidentally, this cyclic torque output is the principle on which an impact wrench operates. I'll leave it to your imagination to figure out what is likely to happen to your drive, especially under load. Needless to say, the fewer the number of cylinders, the greater the impact wrench effect.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

You'll be fine as long as you make sure that the peak torque actually transmitted by the drive stays well under 300. The engine presumably has a flywheel which will smooth out vibration but it also makes it possible for the engine-flywheel combination to briefly deliver much more torque than the engine's continuous rating.

You're never going to get that coupling apart, though.
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

it will be running a boat, so there is no opportunity for a shock load. never getting it apart is ok
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

For the prop?
I used to own a boat. I recall hitting something with the prop on one occasion. I would classify that as a shock load, assuming you'd be driving the prop.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Harold_V wrote:For the prop?
I used to own a boat. I recall hitting something with the prop on one occasion. I would classify that as a shock load, assuming you'd be driving the prop.

H
Better that the coupling fail than the prop break.

Depending on the taper and how well matched it is much of the load may not be on the threads at all.
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

You could make a coupling with threads in side it spilt one side with a ccouple of clamping bolts so its clamps on the threads to take up the thread clearance,

On second though why not due coupling with key ways,
And use the standard soft keys normally used in boats for protection of the prop.

Rob
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

10 Wheeler Rob wrote:You could make a coupling with threads in side it spilt one side with a ccouple of clamping bolts so its clamps on the threads to take up the thread clearance,

On second though why not due coupling with key ways,
And use the standard soft keys normally used in boats for protection of the prop.

Rob
That's a better idea, if feasible.
Ironman1

Post by Ironman1 »

There is a tractor puller in my area with two Ford 427 engines coupled together with a 1" pipe nipple threaded into a plate attached on each engine.
Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune.- Jim Rohn

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

Ironman1 wrote:There is a tractor puller in my area with two Ford 427 engines coupled together with a 1" pipe nipple threaded into a plate attached on each engine.
Wow
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

changed plans and will spline a shaft to go into the clutch
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

AllenH59 wrote:changed plans and will spline a shaft to go into the clutch
Sounds like a wise choice.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D