Brown and Sharpe Micrometer

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Brown and Sharpe Micrometer

Post by ctwo »

I caught a Kennedy 7-drawer tool chest, I think a slightly older model. Anyway, it came with a few tools, including a Brown and Sharpe micrometer.

I was under the impression that B&S was a Swiss company, but this one is marked made in USA?

I rather like it for the diagonal graduations. It's 10ths reading and very smooth and accurate, with case similar as shown here:

http://www.longislandindicator.com/p241.html

Is there a way to tell it's year of mfg (and for the chest too)? I'll try posting an actual pic...
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Russ Hanscom

Re: Brown and Sharpe Micrometer

Post by Russ Hanscom »

B&S is/was based in Providence, RI. I have catalogs dating from the 20's and 30's. They claim to have developed the first practical micrometer in 1867.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ctwo wrote:I was under the impression that B&S was a Swiss company,
Likely due to their BesTest indicator, which is made in Switzerland (and is one of the best indicators on the market).
B&S made not only measuring instruments, but an extensive line of precision machines. Their cylindrical grinder was a real treasure, and their surface grinders are quite common.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I see, the Swiss purchase was more recent, in 2001. Yes, my first DTI is a BesTest, at the suggestion of this forum.

I rather like the B&S mic for the graduations are easier to read than my Mits. The other B&S mic was my first micrometer, given to me from the machine shop owner that I worked for in high school. Unfortunately, it had been neglected.
Attachments
BS-mic01-20171116_002714.jpg
BS-mic02-20171116_002846.jpg
BS-cal01-20171116_003028.jpg
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
pete

Post by pete »

B & S is a pale shadow of what it once was that's for sure. They designed and made some top quality and innovative products. For metrology items they were probably equal to Starrett for the amount they made and the quality. I've got a B & S 558 cylindrical square that's unlike any others I know of and because of it's design it allows you to actualy measure just how far something is out. Afaik B & S have now concentrated on building CMM's and most or all of the other products sold with there name today are simply made offshore with European made items like the Bestest and a fair amount of what I'm guessing are rebranded Chinese manufactured items.