Simulated wood grain on metal?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

DianneB

Simulated wood grain on metal?

Post by DianneB »

Has anybody done simulated wood grain on metal? How did you do it?

I am re-doing the cab on my 1-1/2" American and would love to do simulated wood grain but have no idea how to do it on aluminium in scale. There is lots on youtube about simulated wood grain but nothing on a small scale.

Ideas?
jcfx

Re: Simulated wood grain on metal?

Post by jcfx »

I don't know if they exist in smaller scale than life size, but there are graining tools and pads to create painted on faux wood grain, but they are full size
some hobby suppliers may have scaled down versions.
One thing that I purchased but have not had the time to experiment with is a water slide decal process that uses a color laser printer
you may be able to print out scaled photo of the wood grain and apply.
https://decalprofx.com/
Bentworker

Post by Bentworker »

I’d try applying adheasive vinyl to a chunk of aluminum then cutting out a wood grain pattern. Maybe use some sort of chemical (read Drano) etching. Could probably soften the look after peeling the vinyl with a brush, or possibly do the entire process with a brush, or maybe soaked fine threads laid on the aluminum. With some practice & expermintation I think you could end up with a realistic looking etching.

PPE and some sort of handy eyewash / neutralizer for whatever you use would be a must.

Again, just an idea and it may fail in a spectacular fashion.
Shop toys...
10X54" Vectrax GS20F mill with DRO & frequency drive (saved from the scrap pile).
Jet 13x40 lathe.
Powermatic 1150 drill press.
I love Craigslist!
shayloco

Post by shayloco »

I first made my Shay cab out of aluminum. Didn't like it. I covered it with 1/8" thick oak strips glued to the aluminum. Looks great and is strong. I used Gorilla glue. Then I did the same to my walkways. Over 12 years ago and no problems at all. The oak has taken a nice patina with age.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Hobby shops (if any still exist in your area) might still carry thin wood sheets of various types, that can be used to veneer the metal cab.
~RN
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I'd go with veneer.

A local woodworking supply store should have lots of different materials, and you should be able to find something with a narrow enough grain to look scale.

Steve