What is this Mystery Attachment/Tool

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

EOsteam

What is this Mystery Attachment/Tool

Post by EOsteam »

Here are a couple of photos of a tool that was included in a lathe purchase a couple of years ago. Any ideas on what this thing does? The long handle with the plastic ball rotates the top assembly about an axis on the base. The writing on the top says "Olson 1974". The only thing I can think of is maybe some version of a ball turner?

Thanks,

HJ
Mysterytool1.jpg
Attachments
MysteryTool2.jpg
10KPete

Re: What is this Mystery Attachment/Tool

Post by 10KPete »

I agree: ball turner with it's setting pin. Made by Mr. Olson in 1974. Nice looking tool!

Pete
Just tryin'
EOsteam

Post by EOsteam »

OK, Next question. How is the device used? What is the function of the setting pin?

HJ
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

Agreed, its a ball turner. The setting pin is at the center of the pivot axis allowing one to zero the cutting tool at 0 ball radius. Then setting pin is removed and the tool is back off with the graduated handle to the desired finished ball radius.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

The Pin has 2 functions
1. Run the cutting tool upto it and touch the point, then back off to the desired radius of the ball/arc ( say .500 )
2. Used to locate the centerline of the spindle..Think of putting a dead center in the tail-stock and matching the points. You then have your cross-slide location ( Zero the C/S Dial)

Then turn your radius slide 90 degrees to the right so it is alligned with the tail stock barrel and facing the chuck.
Remove the center pin , chuck your stock ( say 1.000 OD) and then move the carriage ntil the tool bit touches the end of the 1" bar. . You now have the proper lateral location for turning a .500 ball end on the bar stock.

Rich
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

I've had the use that setting pin type ball cutter, both shop made, and the set-up is really quick. With good points and good eyes I think one could get within .010" of alignment. More than close enough for the average need. Plenty good for me!

Pete
Just tryin'