How to indelibly mark plastic oil bottles?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

choprboy

How to indelibly mark plastic oil bottles?

Post by choprboy »

I use a set of HF plastic (polyethylene) bottles at the lathe and the mill for easy dispensing of all the needed fluids, way oil, cutting oil, coolant, WD40, etc. as I work. The bottles themselves hold up great, easy to dispense and get down into holes, easy to see how much is remaining in the bottle, doesn't break or dent when dropped on the floor, and cheap - if I gobbered something or catch the tip in a tool I just transfer the remaining oil to a new bottle and toss the old.

Unfortunately... the PE does not take marking very well. Permanent marker, paints, enamal coated stencils and lettering; between the flexible plastic and oils, everything I've tried rubs off in a fairly short time, and remarking after the bottle is coated in oil doesn't work.. Coming back to the shop after a couple weeks of not machining, trying to figure out which was the way oil, which was the cutting oil, etc. is a real chore. Does anyone have a magic marking solution that holds up on plastic in the shop?
DianneB

Re: How to indelibly mark plastic oil bottles?

Post by DianneB »

I have not found anything permanent for polyethylene. The only thing that comes close is to buff with sand paper and write with permanent marker -that will last for awhile. Otherwise ty-wrap a fibre tag to the bottle neck and write on the tag.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I read that a solvent called 1,2,4-tricholorobenzene will dissolve polyethylene. Wonder if you could paint an area on a bottle to make it porous and then go over it with some kind of paint marker.

Unfortunately, it's over $30 for 25 g on Ebay.

There are primers made for polyethylene. Maybe you could apply primer and mark on it.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Duct tape on bottle, writing on duct tape?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Frank Ford

Post by Frank Ford »

I have poly bottles with actone, naphtha, lacquer thinner,, cellosolve, alcohol, mineral oil, kerosene, paint thinner and other stuff. I use regular ol' Dymo plastic embossed strip labels - they last a long time and are always easy to read.
Cheers,

Frank Ford
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Frank Ford wrote:I use regular ol' Dymo plastic embossed strip labels...
Where do you get the label material?
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

How do you get the labels to stick to the bottle long term? I tried a stick-on Dymo label (thermo-print tape, not the embossed stuff) and it loosened and fell off after a bit from the oil. I had thought about printing a label, sticking it to the bottle, and then putting some clear heatshrink over the whole bottle to keep it there (can't use the thermo-tape, it will turn all black when applying the heatshrink)... though I suspect the label will get discolored over time.

Dianne's mention of a neck tag gave me an idea... I'll have to see if I can get around to fabbing something up this weekend.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

How about using a stencil and fine media blasting to roughen the surface enough to read the text? it shouldn't weaken the bottle appreciably and legibility should improve with use as the grime beds in ;-)
Alternatively if you can find a really old Dymo label machine like mine you can use stainless tape, punch holes in the ends and wire it in place, good for making tags for garden plants too as they last forever if you fix with stainless wire.

- Nick
RSG

Post by RSG »

I have the same bottles and have found labeling a piece of masking tape that goes around the bottle works great if you use some clear tape after to cover the masking tape, going above and below and all the way around.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Frank Ford

Post by Frank Ford »

neanderman wrote:
Frank Ford wrote:I use regular ol' Dymo plastic embossed strip labels...
Where do you get the label material?
Just do a quick eBay or other search for "Dymo embossing tape." I suspect most suppliers of stationery items carry it, too, along with the tools.
Cheers,

Frank Ford
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

It may seem like a lot of work, but how about sticking a Dymo tape to a thin strip of metal, aluminum, steel, etc. and adhere the strip to the PE with epoxy.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

PE, PP and Delrin ( acetal ) are the most difficult to mark and glue, you could try heat embossing the bottles
with the contents name. PE and PP have a indicator to when they're ready to form, they go clear or translucent,
it's probably close to their melting point when it gets to that stage but I have successfully formed PE and PP,
use a heat gun if you want to try it.

There are special adhesives that will glue these slippery plastics, I had used something called Parbond 905
to glue rubber to delrin, it was an expensive glue ( $80 ) and I had to "plasma treat " the surface with a torch
the results were iffy.